7i76e with 7i85

More
19 Feb 2024 04:36 #293742 by ajc771
7i76e with 7i85 was created by ajc771
Hi,

When I run pncconfig I get all the encoders pin types grayed out and read Muxed Enc 0, Muxed Enc 1, etc..
I cannot change it to Quad Enc A - Quad Enc B for each of the axis encoders I have.   The same is true for the StepGen which is also grayed on the pin type.  By the way I am using LinuxCNC 2.9.2.  Am I doing something wrong?  I have a 7i76e with a 7i85 card connected and used the discovery option in pncconfig and it picked up the card.  Also I chose 7i76 Mode2 I/O Card in the TB2/TB3 option.

Is there a jumper on the 7i85 card that needs to be in place to choose the type of encoders?
Thanks,
AC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2024 09:58 #294062 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic 7i76e with 7i85
Probably needs flashing firmware for use with 7i85, and most probably it is included in the downloads on the www.mesanet.com website.
Still, that does not explain grayed out stepgens, so what language are you using?
Check if UTF-8 is used as locale as some locales will cause such issues.

More
23 Feb 2024 15:25 #294081 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i76e with 7i85
If you are talking about encoder type (single ended vs differential),
this is selected by jumpers on the 7I85 card.

The 7I85 encoders are on the P1 tab. Note
that in this configuration, encoders 0..3
are on the 7I85 and the spindle encoder
(4) is on the 7I76E

As far as the stepgens go, the only per-pin hardware
option is  whether the outputs are inverted or not.
Here are 4 axis of stepgens setup in a typical manner:

Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2024 05:47 #294176 by ajc771
Replied by ajc771 on topic 7i76e with 7i85
Hi Peter,
My pncconfig screen looks exactly like what you have for P! which is on the 7i85 card and I have my XYZ encoders configured as you show. Since I have TTL encoders with the index signal: I set up all the jumpers in the correct position. What confused me was the numbering and use of the word MUXed. As you can see the terminal numbers are not given and encoder x axis is numbered 0 which I take to mean the first 8 terminals and the Y to be the next 8 terminals and z the next 8 terminals. Is that correct?

Also since I am only using 2 signal wires, a power and a ground. I would connect the A+ and B+ to their terminals and the index to its terminal. The power and ground are easy to figure out . I would, of course leave A- & B - terminals unconnected with no pull-up resistor ---- Is that correct? My encoders are sinking about 35 ma to ground MAX. Their rated for up to 30 volts but I am using the 5 volts provided by the 7i85.

Thanks Again for your help!
ajc

More
24 Feb 2024 16:04 #294222 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i76e with 7i85
Yes, for single ended encoders, the - A,B,Z inputs are left unconnected.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds