Mesa 7i96s and 750W AC servo

More
29 May 2024 23:36 - 30 May 2024 00:14 #301785 by Dave2024
Hi, sorry for posting on here so frequently but this time I’m trying to ask for some advice on whether the components that I am thinking of purchasing and putting together will work with LinuxCNC?

Components:
  • Mesa 7i96s – Motion Control Board
  • DYN4 AC Servo Drive – Servo Drive
  • 86M-DHT 0.75kW AC Servo Motor – 750W AC Servo Motor

Concept and goal:
So the idea is id like to connect the Mesa 7i96s to the DYN4 AC driver and use the 86M-DHT 750W AC servo as a spindle.  It says on the DMM site that they are capable of 3000-5000RPM.  The 86M-DHT is the only motor I’ve been able to find that has both matching frame mounting with Nema34 and a shaft diameter of 14mm.  This motor should perfectly replace the current BLDC spindle motor that I’m currently having issues with.

Questions:
  • Will the 7i96s be able to communicate with the DYN4 and is it difficult to configure using the Pncconf wizard?
  • Is the 86M-DHT AC Servo going to work as a spindle be able to reach and maintain variable speeds up to 5000rpm on a 1:1 ratio?
  • What mode will I be using to send control signals to the DYN4 driver?  The driver’s manual says it can accept input modes RS232, Pulse/DIR, A/B Phase, Analog, CAN, and Modbus.  In the 7i96s manual I can only find output modes for Step/Dir and PWM analog.  I assume it would be using Step/Dir? 
  • Has anyone had any experience with the DYN4 drives and its configuration with LinixCNC?
Thanks
Last edit: 30 May 2024 00:14 by Dave2024.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2024 00:56 #301786 by jimmyrig
If you are using it just as a spindle the easiest setup is use the mesa analog output to control the spindle.

If you want direct rpm feedback then most servos also pass the encoder data out via a A B and index (z) pins the mesa can directly read via the encoder pins.

More
30 May 2024 02:06 #301796 by Dave2024
Ok thanks, I do plan on connecting the encoder data to the Mesa as well if i go this route. I'm just wondering if its ok to do what I'm trying with this motor and having it spin 3000k rpm for hours? That and if these components will even work together and how to configure it all. If Its getting feedback can I still use analog?

More
30 May 2024 02:10 #301798 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Mesa 7i96s and 750W AC servo
Was there something wrong with the U3K and BLDC? Or are you just sick of fiddling and want a drop-in solution?

If so, there may be better - or at least other - options than the DYN4 and 750w servo.

More
30 May 2024 02:21 - 30 May 2024 02:42 #301799 by Dave2024
Still learning how to reply using quotes on here sorry
Last edit: 30 May 2024 02:42 by Dave2024.

More
30 May 2024 02:31 - 30 May 2024 02:42 #301802 by Dave2024
Still learning how to reply using quotes on here sorry
Last edit: 30 May 2024 02:42 by Dave2024.

More
30 May 2024 02:40 #301804 by Dave2024

Was there something wrong with the U3K and BLDC? Or are you just sick of fiddling and want a drop-in solution?

If so, there may be better - or at least other - options than the DYN4 and 750w servo.

I was ripped off on the U3K the guy wont reply to my messages wont refund it and it has errors 'Fault errors' that wont clear out when I click the clear errors in Ultraware. Then I went looking for another one and they are all over priced. But yes im looking at another option with the AC servo. Pluss if I take the hall sensor off that BLDC im pretty sure ill never get it back on timing with the motors windings. If I just go this rout I can still have a simi functioning machine incase im too dumb to learn how all these motor signals and stuff work with encoders and LinuxCNC configuration.

Other wise no I am still checking the used U3K market every day and will get another one then convert that BLDC because I've gotten so far till the rip off occurred. Its just frustrating I spent weeks to discover that the drive is bad. But thanks im just impatient with the used U3K's rite now 

What other options do you recommend? I know we've been over this before and btw I really appreciate your helping me out with this but what options do you know of? Id like to if at all possible at least have the same shaft and fram size motor. I don't really care if i have to flip the thing upside down just something that doesn't involve sophisticated bracket manufacturing lol

More
30 May 2024 12:54 #301839 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Mesa 7i96s and 750W AC servo
Are you sure the BLDC motor is a NEMA34 frame?  Please use some calipers to measure the bolt pattern and mounting boss (the big locating ring protruding from the flange).  Or measure the mounting plate - either or.

The reason I want you to double-check is that if you are reluctant to make a motor adapter plate you need to make very sure of the existing motor size.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 May 2024 17:56 - 30 May 2024 18:07 #301869 by Dave2024

Are you sure the BLDC motor is a NEMA34 frame?  Please use some calipers to measure the bolt pattern and mounting boss (the big locating ring protruding from the flange).  Or measure the mounting plate - either or.

The reason I want you to double-check is that if you are reluctant to make a motor adapter plate you need to make very sure of the existing motor size.

Well Its kinda a Nema34 I think?  The bolt dimensions are the same 70.1x70.1 same as the nema34 but then mounting boss radius on the old motor is 79.5 Ø.  The Nema34 I guess is a little smaller 73.2 Ø.  It should still fit the old mounting plate just fine?  Ill be ok with trying to make a plate, the mill still works fine when setting the speed manually.  Im just scared of anything thats going to take more than one operation or need tool changes  
Last edit: 30 May 2024 18:07 by Dave2024.

More
30 May 2024 19:06 #301877 by Dave2024

Believe it or not but the guy that sold me the U3K finally read his messages and now he’s sending me another U3K free of charge.  Looks like ill be taking another shot at configuring a U3K to receive encoder signals from a CUI encoder and will be putting the DMM drive and AC servo on the back burner.  Geze this is such a lucrative trade these CNC system components.  Looks like you wont be hearing from me for another couple weeks lol.  Anyways when this is all done Im going to need to get your handle I want to buy you lunch spumco 

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds