intending to use a servo motor as a spindle with mesa 7i96s

More
23 Sep 2024 12:35 - 23 Sep 2024 12:51 #310642 by PhilipME
should I configure the servo motor as a spindle and configure the encoder as spindle encoder

or

set the servo motor as main axis number 3 (x being zero, y is 1 and z is 2) and configure the encode pins as main axis encoder.

Good day

Philip
Last edit: 23 Sep 2024 12:51 by PhilipME.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2024 13:41 #310647 by tommylight

should I configure the servo motor as a spindle and configure the encoder as spindle encoder

This.
But, does the servo use step/dir or analog input?
If analog, then the above is correct.
If step/dir, then a bit of editing the hal and ini should be done as i do not think the wizards can do that, although it's been a while since i used the wizards, so that might have changed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilipME

More
23 Sep 2024 14:10 #310650 by PhilipME

But, does the servo use step/dir or analog input?

Unfortunately I have no manual. I searched the internet and could not find a picture of the same. When I posted this thread I thought, ac servo are equipped with both step/dir and analog. Now I will have to find the manual from Aliexpress or try to map the db25 before I can proceed.

The manuals that I found over the net maybe very close to what I have indicate that it has analog signals. It has three control modes, position, speed and torque.

Many thanks

Philip

More
23 Sep 2024 14:17 #310652 by tommylight
Position mode = step/ dir or same as a simple stepper system
Speed mode = velocity mode = analog input of +-10V <<< notice + and -
Torque mode = avoid using this, it requires doing stuff
-
For use with Mesa 7i96S the best would be using the position mode.
Notice of the above notice about + and - , Mesa 7i96S has an analog output that does 0-10V, that is not the same as +-10V.
0-10V on Mesa will work with +-10V drive, only in one direction, so check the manual if the drive has also an input that can change direction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Masiwood123, PhilipME

More
23 Sep 2024 14:26 #310653 by PhilipME

Position mode = step/ dir or same as a simple stepper system
Speed mode = velocity mode = analog input of +-10V <<< notice + and -
Torque mode = avoid using this, it requires doing stuff
-
For use with Mesa 7i96S the best would be using the position mode.
Notice of the above notice about + and - , Mesa 7i96S has an analog output that does 0-10V, that is not the same as +-10V.
0-10V on Mesa will work with +-10V drive, only in one direction, so check the manual if the drive has also an input that can change direction.

Excellent
I will take into consideration

many thanks

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Sep 2024 16:41 - 23 Sep 2024 16:46 #310659 by PhilipME
I am glad I finaly got the manual in the attachment

I dont see analog input to the controler 

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Sep 2024 16:46 by PhilipME.

More
23 Sep 2024 17:04 #310661 by PCW
The analog input is VREF and AGND (pin 25 and 13)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilipME

More
23 Sep 2024 17:12 #310662 by PhilipME

The analog input is VREF and AGND (pin 25 and 13)

So it can run as a stepper motor and as a analog/spindle

I will make a wire diagram and post a new thread within 2 to 3 weeks (time permits) before powering.

Many thanks 

Philip

More
23 Sep 2024 21:40 - 23 Sep 2024 21:45 #310671 by Masiwood123
Tommylight thanks for this, I had completely forgotten that the 7i96s has an output of 0-10v cw or ccw, it depends on how the motor phases are connected mechanically... on the lathe that I plan to retrofit, the main spindle is an Ac servo and the factory of course has cw ccw.. my question is whether in that case I will be able to set the counter direction with some magic in the hal
i mean m3-M4 ,or via some relay that would change the motor phases or a third option to find the input pin for changing the direction on the Simodrive itself? there is another option to take the analog output from the 7i77 because I planned it for x and z control. In the case that PhilipMe has, I have the same servo driver on my diy lathe and it can work in both modes, position and velocity also and torque over 25 13 analog inputs on the driver. in the manual there is a possibility to change the direction...PhilipMe check which parameter is responsible for that, it was a long time ago and I forgot.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2024 21:45 by Masiwood123.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Sep 2024 00:51 #310677 by tommylight
AC servos usually have step/dir and CW/CCW and that is settable, in that case 7i96S should be used as step/dir, not 0-10V as it would also control the direction and the only change in hal is from stepgen type 0 to stepgen type 1 or 2, i forgot exactly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Masiwood123

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds