pncconf/7i43 feedback

More
02 Jan 2011 06:02 #6357 by joel
pncconf/7i43 feedback was created by joel
I just bought a 7i43/7i42T and am configuring them to drive 4 Gecko 320s. I installed the latest EMC via the install script to a new ubuntu 10.04 installation. I wanted to give some feedback about a couple things I found playing with it.

1. After running it the first time EMC would not start - it could not find the SV4_6.BIT firmware file. It turns out that pncconf was using the wrong file names for the firmwares. It was using SV4_4.BIT, SV4_6.BIT and SV4_12.BIT. The actual firmware files were SVST4_4.BIT, SVST4_6.BIT and SVST4_12.BIT. I created links in the firmware directory to get it to work.

2. I struggled to get an input to work. I assigned a home switch to the first available input after the first stepgen on connector 3. I thought it was input 2 as did pncconf since it put "net home-x <= hm2_7i43.0.gpio.002.in" in the hal file but looking at that input with halmeter shows nothing. Looking through the 7i43 manual I find that I/Os 0-23 are on Connector 4. I/Os 24-48 are on connector 3. So I tried assigning the switch to the 3rd input on connector 4s tab even though it's still physically wired to the third input on connector 3. Now pncconf puts "net home-x <= hm2_7i43.0.gpio.026.in" in the hal file and that pin does indeed toggle with the switch.

Anyway those were the two main issues I had getting it working. For awhile it was putting "addf servo-thread" in the hal file and it would not start due to the lack of a function name but it seems to have quit doing that and I don't remember what I turned on or off to make it stop. Right now it's putting "loadrt lowpass names=" in and it doesnt start - says invalid parameters. If I delete "names=' or just comment the line entirely it starts ok.

One more thing - the Axis scale calculator isn't working right I put in my motor:leadscrew ratio 1:2, steps per revolution 4000, microstep multiplication factor 1,leatscrew TPI=5 and it gives a scale of 10000 when it should be 40000 - no problem though since I can manually enter the 40000.

pnconf does a lot of things right and I'm sure it saved me a bunch of time even with the fiddling I had to do - I hope this feedback is useful to make it even better!

Joel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2011 06:53 #6359 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:pncconf/7i43 feedback
Thank you for the feedback it is very important.
What version of EMC are you using?
The addf servo-thread and lowpass are used for pyvcp spindle speed display.
I found this bug and thought I fixed it but it may not be in the released version yet.
I will check into the other problems.

Chris M

More
02 Jan 2011 07:04 #6360 by joel
Replied by joel on topic Re:pncconf/7i43 feedback
Hi, It's 2.4.6 I just installed it about a week ago. I did have the spindle speed display turned on for awhile...
Joel

More
03 Jan 2011 04:35 #6399 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:pncconf/7i43 feedback
Hi Joel

Some of what you talked about was fixed but not released yet.
the trouble with firmware names should be fixed now I assume you were using the 7i43-4 I had already fixed the 7i43-2 firmware name.
The trouble with the wrong pin being configured was a good find. it affected the 3i20 too.
And i fixed the scale calculation. It was actually just inverting the ratio. I hadn't noticed that. (my test motors connect directly)
The addf and lowpass problems had already been fixed.
Ths should all be fixed in the next bug fix 2.4.7 when ever that is.
when it is if you get a chance to touble check the fixes that would be great.
Thanks again.
Chris M

More
04 Jan 2011 01:12 #6413 by joel
Replied by joel on topic Re:pncconf/7i43 feedback
No problem. Thanks for your efforts!
Joel

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds