NGCGUI and helper image

More
30 Aug 2012 08:57 #23764 by Rick G
With NGCGUI you can have a helper image that will appear when you select a NGCGUI file.
By design this image file must be small to fit in the NGCGUI panel, however if you use the --imageframe option the image will appear as a separate widget.
I have tried using larger images but it does still seem that the image widget is limited to a small size on the screen. Perhaps I am missing a setting or option.
For now I just create a helper image file the size I want and display it with a desktop launcher.

Rick G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2012 11:53 #23765 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:NGCGUI and helper image
Hi Rick,

That's a good work around to have a desktop launcher for the instructions. I wonder why the image doesn't expand when you expand Axis?

John

More
31 Aug 2012 06:52 #23792 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:NGCGUI and helper image

That's a good work around to have a desktop launcher for the instructions.

It could be a better solution full stop.

I stopped using images in my ngcgui tabs, because they took up too much space, which could have been used for param fields.

Likewise I stopped using pyvcp panels, which take up space, and now have 2 configs for each machine, one for ngcgui to create the code and the other a normal Axis with pyvcp to run it.

The main problem is the type of display in the workshop.
I have a HD 1920 x 1080 display in the house, but in the workshop it is 14" LCD running at 1024 x 768, so space is at a premium.

regards

More
31 Aug 2012 10:37 #23795 by BigJohnT
Actually this conversation has spawned an idea for my custom gui that I'm working on. Seems all the GUI's assume your wanting to run all the time, but things like ngcgui are plugged into a small space and pyvcp is tacked onto the side. It just dawned on me to have main tabs that switch between functions like operation, program, feed and speed tables or helpers.

Things that make you say "I wonder if"

John

More
31 Aug 2012 10:54 #23796 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:NGCGUI and helper image
All my cnc monitors are relativity small compared to my office, and so space is a premium.
Although I do have NGCGUI embedded in AXIS I only use that for simple ngcs.

For the others I use John's suggestion of a desktop short cut to start NGCGUI with the proper ngc file.
This way I start Linuxcnc, then open a separate window for NGCGUI, which can be as large as needed, and another widget for the helper file.
With this I can set a proper font and NGCGUI size, open the helper if necessary and then open AXIS without any loss of space.
I also found that the Vertical option for NGCGUI seems to give me more usable space.

After discussing this with John some time back I think in the future I will use a custom Glade GUI in place of the PVYPC panel so as to be able to move it around and open and close the panel for better use of the space.

Rick G

More
31 Aug 2012 11:36 - 31 Aug 2012 11:37 #23797 by BigJohnT
This is a screen shot of what I'm thinking of atm with each separate function getting as much real estate as possible. Notice I even combined the menu and the button bar to get more space for the notebook.

John
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Aug 2012 11:37 by BigJohnT.

More
31 Aug 2012 19:07 #23811 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:NGCGUI and helper image
Hello John,

Nice clean look, can't wait to see the finished product.

Rick G

More
31 Aug 2012 23:11 #23814 by BigJohnT
I'm sure it will be a work in progress for a while as rooting out some of the code does prove a bit on the difficult side. Right now I'm trying to sort out how to incorporate the postgui hal file. I have most of it done... just a few more details. My gui6 I can jog and load a program and run it but I like the layout of this one better so I think I'll work on it for a while.

John

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds