Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
14 Feb 2013 23:41 #30059 by karlkec

Any updates ?
I almost miss all the requests for changes :)

OK I'll bite.

There seems to be room around the spinbox (now at the bottom). Could there be a button to bring up the calculator entry number pad? Double-clicking with the touchpad is not easy, and for people with large fingers almost impossible.

One of the rules I've heard for panel layout, which I'm sure applies to touchscreen layout: if the panel is somewhere near eye level (which ours is), pushbuttons should be below it so one's arm doesn't cover the screen while pressing buttons. In a way I like having the buttons at the top, but I do have to look around my arm when pressing the buttons. I'm not saying I want the buttons back on the bottom, just throwing this out for discussion.

Karl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2013 00:16 - 15 Feb 2013 00:18 #30060 by BigJohnT
I don't know why anyone would want touch screen buttons on top or left or right so you have to block your view and raise your arm up over your shoulder (bad) to press a button on the screen... but what the heck do I know? The human resource people would be all over you for bad ergonomics for sure.

John
Last edit: 15 Feb 2013 00:18 by BigJohnT.

More
15 Feb 2013 00:36 #30062 by newbynobi
As most off us are right handed,
the buttons should be on the right side and on the button and nowhere else!

I am missing on the preferences page the checkbox (reload tool on startup)

The password for accessing the settings should be stored in the hidden preferences file
and should be editable through preferences page.

Gremlin is still not update the tool path well,
To test just load a program, then jog around and set a new origin for G54, and start the cycle. look where the toolpath is drawn.

I would like an integrated keyboard, not the one floating around covering important thinks.

User can set in INI FILE in DISPLAY the Key:

EDITOR = gedit

Gscreen will ignore that! In My opinion it shouldn't do so.

Chris : I can go on that way;-) It is your fault, you asked for that!

I agree, that this thread should be separated in smaler more detailed ones:

Norbert

More
15 Feb 2013 01:35 #30064 by tjamscad
Since this button thing is such a big deal. Why not ask Chris politley to filp the hole thing upside down. Tabs and buttons on the bottom. Can we agree that having the buttons and tabs together is a better way to go. on top on bottom all on the side doesnt really matter. Having them together is better

More
15 Feb 2013 02:44 #30066 by karlkec

Since this button thing is such a big deal. Why not ask Chris politley to filp the hole thing upside down. Tabs and buttons on the bottom. Can we agree that having the buttons and tabs together is a better way to go. on top on bottom all on the side doesnt really matter. Having them together is better

Yes

More
15 Feb 2013 09:33 #30083 by cmorley

OK I'll bite.

There seems to be room around the spinbox (now at the bottom). Could there be a button to bring up the calculator entry number pad? Double-clicking with the touchpad is not easy, and for people with large fingers almost impossible.

One of the rules I've heard for panel layout, which I'm sure applies to touchscreen layout: if the panel is somewhere near eye level (which ours is), pushbuttons should be below it so one's arm doesn't cover the screen while pressing buttons. In a way I like having the buttons at the top, but I do have to look around my arm when pressing the buttons. I'm not saying I want the buttons back on the bottom, just throwing this out for discussion.

Karl

If you hide the pointer in the preference page then you don't need to double click, a single click will do.
I am probably going to get rid on the spinbutton, though probably a button to bring up the calculator would be handy.

For a right handed person buttons on the right should be fine. I never really liked the buttons on top, though the layout worked a little better.
I have not tried it with tabs and buttons on the bottom. It's a bit of work. In the end not everyone will be happy but then again one can always change it to what they like.... :)

Hey we can add files again yaaa!

More
15 Feb 2013 09:51 #30084 by cmorley

I am missing on the preferences page the checkbox (reload tool on startup)

The password for accessing the settings should be stored in the hidden preferences file
and should be editable through preferences page.

Gremlin is still not update the tool path well,
To test just load a program, then jog around and set a new origin for G54, and start the cycle. look where the toolpath is drawn.

I would like an integrated keyboard, not the one floating around covering important thinks.

EDITOR = gedit

Norbert

Norbert

What checkbox are you missing - I don't follow you.
The password is for industrial only. Gscreen doesn't know about it at all. so it is appropriate to be in the handler file ( I think anyways)
To be able to edit it in the preference file defeats the purpose of it.
Gremlin not plotting path correctly - I can't do much with that - file a bug report to the maillist please.
Gremlin not reloading after a new origin set, I can fix. how did you set the new origin?
An integrated keyboard is possible, but requires some more work and dependency that the linuxcnc project may not want ( at least to do it properly)
use TOOL_EDITOR = gedit and test in default gscreen with the button 'tool editor' but why do you wish to use gedit over the tooleditor widget?

Chris M

More
15 Feb 2013 13:10 #30092 by cmorley

the buttons should be on the right side and on the button and nowhere else!

EDITOR = gedit

Norbert

oh I see you want to edit _Gcode_ with gedit editor.....
I didn't notice the differennce.

Chris M

More
15 Feb 2013 22:24 #30120 by tjamscad
Chris,

I just noticed the screen shot thread and on the indrustral screen shot it does not have the Machine on , machine off button Indicators.

More
16 Feb 2013 09:42 #30162 by cmorley
Ya I couldn't live with the two buttons.
When you go to add Gscreen to a production machine, you can add them back. It's not hard.

Chris M

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds