Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
20 Feb 2013 05:50 #30337 by tjamscad
Chris,

A question came up "Select buttons: doh! What are the others for?" Can you remove the text "Select Buttons" from the right coloum of buttons. I didnt realize it was there but all the buttons are selectable? :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2013 12:51 #30349 by cmorley

Hay Chris,

I do monitor the mode in gmoccapy code.

Please take a look at

def _set_spindle(self, widget, data=None):

around line 381, may be this could be helpfull.

Norbert

Yes I do a similar thing I just do it in emc_interface.
The tool change is different as it has to wait for the HAL pins to change before it is finished.
The HAL pins could take seconds or minutes.

Changing the spindle speed is relatively instant so your process works.
Also I am pretty sure the fact you are doing it in a different level the race condition is pretty safe.
meaning the speed change is done before you reset the mode, just because it takes long enough to run through the python program.

Chris

More
21 Feb 2013 15:58 #30399 by cmorley
I pushed the work with no entry box.
will see if everyone is happy with that or not ....

I think I have manual tool change fixed to go back in manual mode.
I forgot to remove the select buttons text.

Chris M

More
21 Feb 2013 16:23 #30401 by emcPT

will see if everyone is happy with that or not ....

Impossible.
Part of my job is making software and all that I know is that I must make everything as possible user configurable. If not everybody complains.

More
22 Feb 2013 03:27 - 22 Feb 2013 06:34 #30424 by tjamscad
Chris,

Why is the mm/in button on the screen if it is set in prefferences?

On the offset page when you select edit it make the backgound of the G5X and G92 yellow. Is that something I have set? It makes the text hard to read.
Also the spindle speed background color I cant change from the tan color.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 06:34 by tjamscad.

More
22 Feb 2013 09:19 #30435 by cmorley
mm/in button in preference page set the startup metric/imperial mode.
The button on the regular screen sets the at-the-moment metric/imperial mode.

Yes the yellow high light lets you know you can edit them. It's changeable but I haven't exposed that as a preference.

How did you change all the colors? Did you change the theme? Are you using Ubuntu 12.04?

More
22 Feb 2013 11:03 #30437 by danemc
this looks great so far. axis has to be the worst cnc interface i've seen. but between this, tkmini and touchy i think there are good choices and this may be being the best. one thing i'm wondering about is multi screen support? could this open in multiple windows? i always thought it would be useful to use a pair of monitors and have a pair of "sceens" open on a cnc machine. even if multi widow or multi monitor would be a problem i think having a way to split the screen into panels that can each render from the list of screens that are compatible with the machine mode you are in would be useful. i think some of the newer hass machines work like this.

More
22 Feb 2013 11:53 #30439 by cmorley
There is some support for multiple screens and more could come with interest.
At the moment the second screen would more likely be used for user added status widgets (leds bar meters, readouts) and buttons.

Having the second screen display the graphics plot, instead of the main screen would be a benefit.

There is some work to make touchscreens work with multiple screens, as by default the touchscreen assumes it covers both screens...

More
22 Feb 2013 21:10 - 23 Feb 2013 04:41 #30451 by tjamscad

mm/in button in preference page set the startup metric/imperial mode.
The button on the regular screen sets the at-the-moment metric/imperial mode.

Yes the yellow high light lets you know you can edit them. It's changeable but I haven't exposed that as a preference.

How did you change all the colors? Did you change the theme? Are you using Ubuntu 12.04?

A preference for that yellow would be great.
I am using 12.04 and I started with a theme called Clearlooks-DarkOrange. That has of course been modified by me. It is one of the few themes that I found would do all the things that I wanted it to do.

Also the gcode line number background in the program mode is tied to inactive button color. Can that be put on a different layer/level so i can change it indepently as well.

The same with the text for the alarm box at the top. I would like to change that text as well.

Can you edit the current tool number section to be the same vertical size as the alarm area and center the text?
Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 04:41 by tjamscad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: micro-thai

More
23 Feb 2013 01:12 #30459 by newbynobi
Hallo Chris,

I personaly don't like buttons with no label or image, because they are useless and can disturbe users.

Why not replace the unused button with labels as placeholder?
I am doing it this way in gmoccapy.

Norbert

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds