Start up problems

More
17 Jul 2015 16:03 - 17 Jul 2015 18:04 #60671 by ZX-Sinclair
Hello,
i try to use gmoccapy but it didn't work.
The test in stepconf works out of the box (x and y axis, Triple beast drive set) after some pin configuration.
But gmoccapy works only in a "virtual mode". There seems to be no "connection" to the drive.
I have no idea where i have to look for. :huh:
At the moment i can drive virtual to the virtual Y-axis reference switch.
With the X and Z axis this is not possible (reference switch is closed). But it is no switch connected.
I measured the pins. During the test of setupconf the signal is working. With gmoccapy there is no signal. Why?
With LinuxCNC i can drive to the switches.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2015 18:04 by ZX-Sinclair.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2015 21:40 #60732 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Start up problems

i try to use gmoccapy but it didn't work.

In what way did you try to use gmoccapy?

Did you try to run the simulator sample config included with the distro?
sim/gmoccapy

That is a simulator and does not run a machine.
sim/gmoccapy/README

You probably need to forget gmoccapy for now, launch stepconf and create a working config using Axis

When you get that going, you will be able to port it to gmoccapy if you wish, once the process of doing so means something to you.

regards

More
19 Jul 2015 18:58 #60757 by ZX-Sinclair
Replied by ZX-Sinclair on topic Start up problems
What does that mean: "You probably need to forget gmoccapy for now, launch stepconf and create a working config using Axis"
This is standard. Axis works.
I tried that again, and it works.

"When you get that going, you will be able to port it to gmoccapy if you wish, once the process of doing so means something to you."
How? I googled for hours and hours. It is so easy that there is no description, example, video or tutorial :(

More
19 Jul 2015 21:18 - 19 Jul 2015 21:32 #60758 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Gmoccapy - Start up problems

What does that mean: "You probably need to forget gmoccapy for now, launch stepconf and create a working config using Axis"

It means stepconf will not create a gmoccapy config for you.
Unlikely anyone is going to hold your hand or present you with a ready to wear config.

Until you study the sim examples and the other docs against your Axis config, you will not see what needs doing to use it as a GUI.

That is all it is, a GUI. Linuxcnc does not work any differently, it is just presented differently in a way which might better suit touchscreens.

A plus might be that it is written in python and integrates better with gladevcp.
A negative would be that it is written in python. :laugh:

How? I googled for hours and hours. It is so easy that there is no description, example, video or tutorial

From the 5 second search I did:

There is a 124 page thread on it
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...inuxcnc?limitstart=0

A wiki page
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Gmoccapy

Intro YouTube video at
"https://www DOT youtube DOT com/watch?v=O5B-s3uiI6g"
(listed like this because since the adobe flash problems, it will just display a black square on this post
type it into another page on your browser and it works)
There are many more listed on the wiki

and all the sample sim configs installed on your machine which presumably you have already run
configs/sim/gmoccapy

Is that enough to be getting on with?
Last edit: 19 Jul 2015 21:32 by ArcEye.

More
19 Jul 2015 21:36 #60759 by LearningLinuxCNC
I will give you the cliff's notes version of the process of changing from Axis to Gmoccapy.
  1. Copy your existing working axis configuration to a new folder under your user/linuxcnc/configurations/ folder. Name this new configuration folder something like "machinename-gmoccapy".
  2. Copy the gmoccapy files from the sample configuration folder to your new configuration folder.
  3. Open your working INI file in the new configuration folder and change the entries in the "DISPLAY" section as shown in the documentation ArcEye posted above.
  4. Create a new launcher on your desktop with the same command as the original working configuration except point to the INI file in the new configuration folder.
  5. Try to run the configuration by using the new launcher. It will probably give you errors because your HAL files will need some modification
  6. Read the error and figure out what needs to be changed in your HAL files. Make the correction and try to launch it again.
  7. Repeat steps 5-6 until you have the errors corrected.

Gmoccapy is not 100% plug and play like Axis so it requires custom configuration. It is not terribly difficult and it should not take long to get it working. Main thing is to read the documentation and review the sample simulation configuration to see how it works.

More
20 Jul 2015 02:30 - 20 Jul 2015 12:51 #60765 by ZX-Sinclair
#ArcEye
I read the most of the documentation (but not all of the 124 pages postings since 2013).
Thats fine and i understand the handling, the GUI and so on. But that is not the problem...
If i change in the standard conf the display from "axis" to "gmoccapy" than it works.

#Nitro
I copied all together but i stopped at item 3.
There is no documentation?
I only want to switch from the working gmoccapy to gmoccapy plasma.
But if i copy that it is always the simulation.

See: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Gmoccapy_plasma
1. Requirements:
"You will be required to copy all the relevant files to your config. More on this later."
(When later? Where?) Is it to easy to change the GUI from mill to plasma?
Update: it works.
I compared the code from the sim and the working gmoccapy and copied row by row.
I think that is a stupid and ridiculous way and it takes hours and hours.
Maybe i will get problems with the working THC. We will see. But at the moment it works. Thanks!!!
Last edit: 20 Jul 2015 12:51 by ZX-Sinclair.

More
20 Jul 2015 06:01 #60769 by LearningLinuxCNC
Replied by LearningLinuxCNC on topic Start up problems
Glad you got it working.

Here is the official documentation on Gmoccapy. It is in the LinuxCNC users manual.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/gmoccapy.html

More
20 Jul 2015 12:52 #60776 by ZX-Sinclair
Thanks for all the documentation.
I know how to work.
But there is no sentance about switching from sim to real work.
Which lines has to be copied into another.....

But it works! :-)

More
24 Jul 2015 03:58 #60867 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Start up problems
I made a lot of documentation, but some time i think i am realy bad in such stuff.

Did you realy read the gmoccapy documentation?
What is wrong? I mentioned all the entries you have to modify kn your ini file.

So please document what you missed, i will add that information.

Norbert

More
27 Jul 2015 12:20 #60947 by ZX-Sinclair
Hello,
the main problem is the huge amount of documents a newbie has to read.
In example, during the first run of LinuxCNC there is a table to select the machine.
I would never select gmoccapy! I don't know that!
If this is selected later, it simulates, but it doesn't work.
So i copied a lot of lines from the .ini, HAL. and a lot of other stuff into the other ones.
A horrible work! Now it runs. (but if i restart the Stepperconf it overwrites all and simulates again. So i have th do it manually.)

The documentation of gmoccapy is not bad.
The global explanations about the relations between HAL, GUI, pref, ini, StepConf, etc. could be better.
And the explanation how to change from simulating to work ...?

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds