gscreen_gaxis fails to load on new install

More
04 Mar 2017 07:51 #88983 by CMB
gscreen_gaxis sample sim fails to load unless I remove the theme directory but gaxis_no_plot does not.

Any ideas what could cause this or where I should be looking?
I've compared the permissions of the <sim.gscreen.gscreen_custom> directory to a working install but nothing seems off.

Gscreen encountered an error.  The following information may be useful in troubleshooting:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/gscreen", line 3688, in <module>
    app = Gscreen()
  File "/usr/bin/gscreen", line 576, in __init__
    os.symlink(localtheme,userthemedir+'/%s'%self.data.local_theme)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Thanks!

-cb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2017 18:00 #88995 by cmorley
What linux distribution are you using?

I tried this on mint 18 and got the same error.
Gscreen looks in /usr/share/themes for system themes.
It also looks in ~/.themes for user themes.

It's this folder that is missing in my system.
I added .themes folder to my user folder and gscreen loaded.

Hope that helps.
Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: CMB

More
04 Mar 2017 18:06 #88996 by cmorley
Also what version of linuxcnc are you using and maybe i can push a fix for this.

thanks
Chris M

More
04 Mar 2017 19:13 #88998 by CMB
Thank you!

Adding an empty .themes folder to my user directory did the trick!

I'm using Mint 17.3 and 18.1 with LinuxCNC 2.7.8 compiled from source as a deb package.

This is the jumping off point for me to learn screen design with Glade.

I've been playing musical chairs with distributions this week to try and settle on one for retrofits I'm performing on various cnc machines I've built over the last 10 years that still use Mach3. Gscreen with Gaxis as a staring point for a simple and user friendly screen seems like an obvious choice. It would certainly be a shame for a new user to skip over this screen due to this type of error.

It has been a challenge for an old windows guy like me to get Glade and LinuxCNC 2.7.8 working in harmony on a modern distro.

I'm still learning what I don't know and what's broken due to my ignorance or my choice of combination of releases.

I sincerely cannot stress enough how grateful I am for all the time and effort put into projects like this, and the support community you guys have built and maintain here. I look forward to the day when I may be able to contribute back to this effort.

Thanks again,
Chris B

More
04 Mar 2017 19:43 #89000 by cmorley
Glad that helped.
I made Gscreen so any problem are my fault :)
It is difficult to keep it functioning for different distributions.
please report these errors (as you did) and I will try my best to fix them.

I hope you find Gscreen useful, if more people do I will continue to develop it.
At the moment I am toying with using QT instead of GTK to build screens ( QT seems to be the way of the future)
But Gscreen will function for years to come.

Chris M

More
04 Mar 2017 20:04 #89002 by CMB
Thanks, I do realize the choice of distribution is causing much of my grief.

It's interesting you mention QT.

My whole reason for not leaving wheezy and using stock screens, for the time I've been learning about LinuxCNC, was the idea of holding off to see what came of QT from the machinekit camp..

I've basically got enough confidence in my ability to use LinuxCNC for everything now and start changing over Mach3 installs so I've decided to jump into Glade for now as I only need minimal changes to gaxis to get by just fine.

I'm very interested in learning QT at some point. I do also toy around with machinekit a bit. I have it on a few beaglebones and now a de0 nano to test with Mesa hardware.

Making the windows / Linux switch has been challenging and rewarding. It's very exciting to see this community embrace modern hardware and toolchains like QT (even though I know nothing about using it yet)!

Thanks for Gscreen!

cb

More
04 Mar 2017 23:20 #89011 by cmorley
machinekit uses QT written in c+ and QML - not that I really know what that is.

In my case, I used pyqt4 and it's very similar to gladevcp/gscreen.

If you come up with some good updates for gscreen-gaxis or buld another custom screen, please consider offering your updates back to lnuxcnc.
The spartan screen is gscreen based and came from a user.

Have fun!
Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: CMB

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds