LinuxCNCrsh & windows

More
03 Dec 2017 04:37 #102609 by Be9
LinuxCNCrsh & windows was created by Be9
I have linuxcncrsh and Mini running nicely from a remote Linux computer (wireless), but I can't get a windows7 computer to cooperate. I started with the stock telnet service and enabled both server and client in features. Unable to connect. I saw online that you have to enable telnet in services, but I couldn't find it. Turned a bunch of services on, one by one, but nothing worked. Then installed Putty without disabling the microsoft thing. Connection is refused. I tried fiddling with the Putty settings, but still nothing works. Didn't try disabling the microsoft thing and working Putty. I would really like windows to work because i am running software that doesn't fly on wine, and bringing a third computer in would add more issues. I would appreciate any advice on which telnet service is better, and how to set it up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2017 08:36 #102610 by InMyDarkestHour
Have you loaded the linuxcncrsh module ?

Which port are you trying to connect to ?

Have you read the wiki here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Emcrsh

More
03 Dec 2017 14:36 #102617 by Be9
Replied by Be9 on topic LinuxCNCrsh & windows
emcrsh has been replaced by linuxcncrsh and they are slightly different. I have this running on two linux machines on port 5007, but I can't get windows to work on any port. The windows machine reads Towel.blinkenlights.nl but I haven't tested server mode. I think my windows services settings are wrong, but don't know how.

More
03 Dec 2017 17:35 #102619 by InMyDarkestHour
So the windows box is the client ? Shouldn't be any need to "turn any services on".

An example is you don't need to run a webserver to access the 'net as clent.

It's not a firewall issue is it ?

I haven't used windows for ages, but from what I remember every so often you had to mess with fire wall settings to allow certain ports to be open.

The wiki page has been updated for linuxcncrsh.

More
03 Dec 2017 19:00 #102622 by Be9
Windows box is the client. I disabled the windows firewall in administration services to test telnet and then turned it back on after it failed. I assumed no re-boot is required. I'll try that and give up on windows if it doesn't work. I have the linux remote working and I can get my project to fly with three computers instead of two. Thank you for your time Ozzyrob.

More
11 Dec 2017 23:59 #102957 by Be9
The firewall was not the issue. I was logging into the server, but the telnet service was timing out when linuxcncrsh didn't start sending data. My linux telnet service didn't care about that, but most everything else choked. ruby::socket is another service that works It works like this:
require 'socket'
s = TCPSocket(IP, 5007) #the ip address has to be in quotes
s.puts "hello EMC ruby 1.0"
sleep 2
s.puts "set enable EMCTOO"
sleep 2
s.puts "set mode manual"
# continue like that to the end of the sample then
s.close
# sleep 2 gives the server enough time to respond. I'm sure there is a better way.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds