CLI estimating working time form STP/STEP file

More
23 May 2023 09:48 #272010 by filippo.poggini
It is possible to calculate estimating working time from STP/STEP file using LinuxCNC CLI?
How could I do it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2023 16:46 #272027 by Aciera
Not sure what you mean. An st/step file contains a 3D model of an object. Linuxcnc works with gcode (ie toolpaths). If you have a toolpath file a rough estimate is possible but really nothing anywhere near precise.

More
30 May 2023 08:29 #272486 by filippo.poggini
Thanks Aciera,
I understand doing this:
1. convert STP file format to GCODE (how could i do this?)
2. use the GCODE file with LinuxCNC
My goal is: automatically estimate the production cost of an item starting from the stp file.
Do you know an easy solution? For example: API service online, python script, LinuxCNC configuration, etc.

More
30 May 2023 09:12 #272487 by rmu
In general, there is no easy solution. STP file can contain anything, even stuff that is not possible to manufacture. Also machining strategy hugely depends on material, machine, tools, work holding, tolerances, surface quality and so on.

More
30 May 2023 09:15 - 30 May 2023 09:16 #272488 by billykid
3d model does not say anything about the time it will take because it depends on the machine you will use, cutter diameter, number of passes, etc... from the model the desired toolpath must be created in gcode with a cam program, then you will be able to have a time even if not very precise as Aciera and rmu  said.
Last edit: 30 May 2023 09:16 by billykid.

More
30 May 2023 10:43 #272491 by tommylight
For what machine?
Slicers give an estimate of time, always.
LinuxCNC will show the feed time for everything, but only feed time, rapids and accelerations are not included, but i got used to adding those from the ammount of cuts.
File>properties menu.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds