GladeVCP - Cannot Activate Hal Widget on UI Start

More
17 Aug 2012 05:06 #23327 by mhaberler
to explain what the issue is (I'll add this to the manual), one needs to understand the LinuxCNC startup process:

- the realtime environment is started
- all HAL components are loaded
- the HAL components are linked together through the .hal cmd scripts
- task, iocontrol and eventually the user interface is started
- pre-gladeVCP the assumption was: by the time the UI starts, all of HAL is loaded, plumbed and ready to go

the introduction of gladeVCP brought the following issue:
- gladeVCP panels need to be embedded in a master GUI window setup, e.g. Axis, or Touchy (embedded window or as an embedded tab)
- this requires the master GUI to run before the gladeVCP window can be hooked into the master GUI
- however gladeVCP is also a HAL component, and creates HAL pins of its own.
- as a consequence, all HAL plumbing involving gladeVCP HAL pins as source or destination must be run AFTER the GUI has been set up

This is the purpose of the POSTGUI_HALFILE .

- Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2012 12:45 #23337 by andypugh
wd5jwy wrote:

It's clear from the documentation that this could be done with the Hal components (stepgen), but here's where I need your advice. Would it be better to build a panel that runs separate from Axis or are there some features in Axis that could be used to make development of the app easier or quicker?

For this application I would suggest not using Axis or the G-code interpreter at all.

A GladeVCP GUI can drive a couple of stepgens directly. You would probably also need a realtime component to send the position information, but you might actually be able to just use the stepgen accel and velocity limits. (however these are parameters, not pins, which makes it a little more tricky).

The Limit3 HAL component ( linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/limit3.9.html ) is very nearly a complete motion controller, and has pins that can be net-ed to a userspace component.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neon22

More
17 Aug 2012 13:44 #23339 by Rick G
Michael,

to explain what the issue is (I'll add this to the manual), one needs to understand the LinuxCNC startup process:

Nice explanation, that helps a lot toward understanding what is going on, when, where and how.

Rick G

More
17 Aug 2012 17:39 #23354 by mhaberler
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neon22

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds