getting work offsets to show in panel.

More
02 Mar 2021 12:34 #200776 by cmorley
If you want 2.8 features then I would install 2.8.

While it's possible to mix and match code from 2.8 and 2.7 - you will be mostly on your own as far as trouble shooting.

You can do what you want in 2.7 but you have to code it in python using the linuxcnc python library - gladevcp widgets would be a pretty good example.

xembed.py is already used when you embed gladevcp into AXIS. that's the file you would have to modify for different behavior.
My suggestion would be to live with the behavior - if it could have been easily made better we would have done it :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2021 18:55 #200807 by Willheg
Thanks again,

I was thinking that but just thought out of curiosity I would ask.

I'm unsure if the pc I use for my machine would handle 2.8 at the moment and I have not been able to find much on the new qt stuff either, hence why I have stayed with the glade in 2.7 pre installed on the live cd.

Anyway I will carry on as the more I look and think about things the clearer it all becomes on what I need to look for and where from.

More
02 Mar 2021 23:28 - 02 Mar 2021 23:29 #200852 by andypugh

I'm unsure if the pc I use for my machine would handle 2.8

If the machine can run 2.7 then you can update just linuxCNC to 2.8.1 and it will run just as well.

Look at the upgrading instructions:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...e_to_the_new_version
Last edit: 02 Mar 2021 23:29 by andypugh.

More
03 Mar 2021 05:00 #200872 by Willheg
Thanks andypugh,

I never even thought of doing that, my issue there is the machine I would be upgrading is not on the internet but easily enough i could just bring it inside and upgrade.

Only other thing is my machine i am using inside at the moment is running from live cd using a sim profile to.test all this, so it would require me to upgrade linuxcnc each night/time I go to explore new things I'd like to try.

But all food for thought about upgrading etc etc.

Thanks for the ideas.

More
03 Mar 2021 09:28 #200879 by andypugh

I never even thought of doing that, my issue there is the machine I would be upgrading is not on the internet but easily enough i could just bring it inside and upgrade.

You can put the installer on a USB stick following these instructions:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...ed:update-no-network

Only other thing is my machine i am using inside at the moment is running from live cd using a sim profile to.test all this, so it would require me to upgrade linuxcnc each night/time I go to explore new things I'd like to try.

I don't quite get what you are saying here. LinuxCNC 2.8 is a stable released version.

Incidentally, I get Internet to my workshop PCs using Powerline adaptors:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communi...ome_networking_(LAN)

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds