breakout board suggestions?

More
23 Jan 2013 10:01 #28997 by danemc
i will soon convert a knee mill to cnc with linuxcnc using steppers, i plan to use gecko drivers (not sure which yet) and will purchase a mini itx motherboard with parallel. on thing i want to eventually do is add spindle feedback for adaptive feed when tapping and would like to hook up some kind of pendant for jogging and setup. what is a good breakout board and should i look into a mesa card for more i/o?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2013 18:01 #29013 by andypugh

i will soon convert a knee mill to cnc with linuxcnc using steppers,

If you can afford them, then I would suggest that servos may be a better match to a knee-mill sized machine than steppers.
Bridgeport did make a range of stepper-driven CNC mills, but those were very big steppers, and as far as I know were never particularly good.

i plan to use gecko drivers (not sure which yet) and will purchase a mini itx motherboard with parallel. on thing i want to eventually do is add spindle feedback for adaptive feed when tapping and would like to hook up some kind of pendant for jogging and setup. what is a good breakout board and should i look into a mesa card for more i/o?

If youa re set on steppers then the Gecko G540 is popular and eliminates the need for a breakout board. As a plus it can also be connected directly to a Mesa 5i25 PCI board ($90) for when you run out of IO and want faster step rates.
For a pendant the Mesa 7i73 ($50) is convenient but only supported by Mesa cards, and also needs a 7i74 ($69) to connect it to the 5i25 (and you also need a $2 parallel port style rear-panel adaptor too)
Once you have the 7i74, though, you can add as much extra IO as you fancy. (Well, up to an extra 336 IO lines)

You might find that a cheap USB gamepad is a good-enough pendant for your purposes.

So, my first recommendation would be to not use steppers, then my second would be to use a bare p-port and Gecko G540 until you have the machine running under power and have a better idea what else you need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: danemc

More
23 Jan 2013 20:26 #29020 by BigJohnT
I second the servo recommendation for a knee mill of any size. As for a pendant I think it would just get in the way. A MPG mounted to the front of the X axis and the selector switches for increment and axis mounted below the monitor work real well for me on my BP converted mill.

MPG
http://gnipsel.com/shop/bp1/bp1-01.xhtml

Selector Switches and start/resume pause and estop switches.
http://gnipsel.com/shop/bp1/bp1-06.xhtml

If your converting a manual mill then you need to replace the lead screws with ball screws.

John

More
23 Jan 2013 20:47 #29024 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic breakout board suggestions?

i will soon convert a knee mill to cnc with linuxcnc using steppers,

Well that is what I did. I do not think you stated if you were going to use the knee as an axis or just use Z .
You would be fine for x,y,z with steppers.
For my knee I only use it to position work so speed is not important so I used a stepper and a 10-1 gearbox. Slow but works fine with stepper.
I use John's Simple Remote Pendant joypad with incremental moves added to it to "touch off" my work.

Rick G

More
24 Jan 2013 08:34 - 24 Jan 2013 08:43 #29053 by danemc
Replied by danemc on topic breakout board suggestions?
thanks for the replys.

i'm aware of the concerns for steppers but if i go servos the costs add up and i may as well buy a used cnc at auction. this i can do for right at about $1000. any more power and i wouldn't want to be using r-8 collets and tool holders and more money could put me in the range of a used machine at auction. machines from the early 80's still have good hard parts but the controlers didn't get friendly and sophisticated till at least the late 80's. if i look long enough i can find something that out lived it's usefulness but can be brought back to life with linux cnc. but this is to be cheap, quick and fun. after i start making money with it i can save for a serious machine.

if a usb pendadnt is ok maybe i'll search e-pay and see if i can find something with a handwheel. if not i guess i can use a game controller if there is a way to switch between continuous and step by step jogging. i may also want to built a tool measurer and a touch probe but dont need to use them at the same time and i guess that only needs 1 i/o line.

well i guess i can go with any old breakout board for now since i don't need a ton of i/o initially.

as for the g540 it's nice but it's too small. i'll need 6amps and 80v. but their drives that handle that are all pretty similar.

just to alleviate concerns for the steppers here is a spreadsheet i found with some numbers plugged in. i just guessed on the cutting forces as i haven't had to do horsepower calcs in a while and didn't have the machinists handbook on me when i did this but i think i picked a liberal number and i should be able to cut at 60ipm and rapid at 100 with ball screws and a 200% margin of excess torque.

edit: doesn't look like attachments are working. i may be too new, not sure what the forum rules are...
Last edit: 24 Jan 2013 08:43 by danemc.

More
24 Jan 2013 08:47 #29054 by BigJohnT
With a 1/2" 2 flute end mill at 3k rpm you only need to go 36 IPM in aluminum and in steel it is a lot slower. So unless your trying to do high speed machining and you can get 40 IPM with enough torque to mill with your OK. Unless you have discovered a niche market you won't make money with a converted knee mill... just how it is. You might make a little change doing repair work or one offs just depends on your situation. A knee mill is not very big so you can start without a pendant or other nice things to get is up and going. Don't know your exact situation so I'm just tossing out observations that I've made over the years.

John

More
24 Jan 2013 11:03 #29059 by danemc
well i have a day job. but there are a few items i see a need for. and i think this will do the job. i'll probably sell carburator spacers to local engine builders and i also have an interest in electric guitar and guitar aficionados will pay pretty good $ for anything. not enough to get rich i know but if i can find a used machine with a toolchanger i think this can make me just enough to buy it.

i'm well aware that i won't likely need 60ipm. just making the point that this should do well enough if things are well lubricated. but with a 3-flute cutter or multi flute arbor mounted mills doing light facing 60ipm isn't out of the question.

More
24 Jan 2013 21:09 #29081 by BigJohnT
My BP Series 1 knee mill has a Kwik Switch spindle which means I can load each tool and touch off to the tool table. It doesn't have a tool changer (I'm the tool changer) but I can run programs with multiple tools. I've seen the spindles on flea bay before and the tool holders as well. Just another thought.

A 3" diameter face mill with 5 inserts and using a 0.005" chip load and 600 SFM is 765 RPM and 19 IPM... a 3/4" 3 flute using the same chip load is 3056 RPM and 45 IPM. A 1/4" 3 flute with 0.003" chip load is 9167 RPM at 82.5 IPM so usually you run out of RPM on older machines before you get any speed going.

When choosing a stepper ignore the holding torque number it is pretty much meaningless as it only indicates how hard it tries to not move... get the RPM torque curve for the stepper at what ever voltage you are using and use that to calculate your ratios and speeds.

John

More
24 Jan 2013 21:28 #29085 by andypugh

My BP Series 1 knee mill has a Kwik Switch spindle which means I can load each tool and touch off to the tool table.

I think you can use the Tormach TTS system with an R8 Bridgeport, too.

There is this system too: www.engineeringsupplies.co.uk/easy-chang...-holders-p-7004.html
This one is similar: www.billetdesigns.com/new_1/index.php?op...w=frontpage&Itemid=1 and has the added attraction of being usable by pretty girls :-)

More
24 Jan 2013 22:32 - 24 Jan 2013 22:56 #29090 by danemc

My BP Series 1 knee mill has a Kwik Switch spindle which means I can load each tool and touch off to the tool table. It doesn't have a tool changer (I'm the tool changer) but I can run programs with multiple tools. I've seen the spindles on flea bay before and the tool holders as well. Just another thought.

A 3" diameter face mill with 5 inserts and using a 0.005" chip load and 600 SFM is 765 RPM and 19 IPM... a 3/4" 3 flute using the same chip load is 3056 RPM and 45 IPM. A 1/4" 3 flute with 0.003" chip load is 9167 RPM at 82.5 IPM so usually you run out of RPM on older machines before you get any speed going.

When choosing a stepper ignore the holding torque number it is pretty much meaningless as it only indicates how hard it tries to not move... get the RPM torque curve for the stepper at what ever voltage you are using and use that to calculate your ratios and speeds.

John

ive seen similar on a series 2 with bt40 tooling. never on a series 1. i didn't know it existed.

my machine is made by induma. it is similar to a bp and may accept a j head but i'm sure the actual spindle parts are different.

i don't have a full torque curve for the steppers i've selected but the spreadsheet assumes a "corner speed" on other parameters and gives the predicted torque at speed mainly based on the inductence. they are low inductance nema 42 motors. the low inductance is the key and is what gives them good high speed performance. there should be a very good margin. www.mycncuk.com/forums/faqs-problems-sol...-need.html#post10046

using the spread sheet i put in 150kg for the mass, 1.1 friction coefficient, 5mm thread 25mm diameter, 20 minor diamter (didn't want to take time to look up acme thread specs, this part is just for inertia, it's close enough) 500 newton cutting forces... motor specs are 5500 g/cm^2 inerita, 12 nm holding torque at 6 amps, .30 detent torque, and 6mh inductance.

i will also point out that i'm not driving the knee i will drive the column so my z travel in the programs will be limited. although i do have an idea to fix the issues with torque to drive the knee by supporting some of the weight with an air bag or air piston and regulating the pressure which is something i saw on clausing mills my shop had when i was in the airforce. it seems to me that driving the knee is just problematic and would be too limiting as far as speed goes if i want to do 3d cutting not to mention mounting a motor on the knee is just awkward it being at a weird angle. though if i later feel i can get it to work and decide to live without a a hand crank i can directly couple it rather than belt drive it.

the quick change adapters are interesting. i will look into those. you've all been very helpful with ideas.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2013 22:56 by danemc.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds