Disable any and all touch pad response

More
20 Apr 2015 23:21 #57943 by bottleworks
Hi. How do I Disable any and all touch pad response? Having random button click via touch pad has become very dangerous. One of my machines is down until I get this resolved. I can't find any controls in the OS to kill these default "features".

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2015 23:53 #57944 by cmorley
You could of course disconnect the touch pad (or use a computer without a touchpad)
you could research 'synaptic' it is a package used to control touch pad options.

Chris M

More
21 Apr 2015 01:45 #57947 by bottleworks
I don't have the option of using anything but the built in touchpad for a mouse. I'll look into synaptic. Thanks.

More
21 Apr 2015 04:21 #57952 by andypugh

I don't have the option of using anything but the built in touchpad for a mouse. I'll look into synaptic. Thanks.

How will you operate the machine if you disable the touchpad then?

More
21 Apr 2015 04:26 #57953 by cmorley
Oh I bet you just want to disable it while linuxcnc is running. don't think synaptics is going to help with that.
If you just want to disable tap-to-click synaptics will help. in fact on Ubuntu 10.04 I can do that by going to
system / preferences / mouse and selecting touchpad options.

You must be doing something odd to not be able to get rid of the touchpad.
If you figure it out please post the solution.

Chris M

More
21 Apr 2015 06:39 #57956 by bottleworks
Let me clarify what's going on...

This machine uses a wireless keyboard - "Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad" See: amzn.com/B005DKZTMG

This is the best input solution I have seen for a LinuxCNC install. It provides great flexibility. The only issue is the touch pad. It accepts touch actions by default with no apparent way to disable it.

I only want the touch pad to move the mouse. No clicking, no 2, 3, 4 finger gestures, etc. The two mouse buttons below the track pad are the only thing I want for clicking the mouse.

Why this is such a safety concern is, if you have the mouse pointer over a button, the track pad can (AND DOES!) randomly think the user is clicking the mouse. It then clicks whatever the pointer is hovering over. With me, this is beyond safety theory. I've now had the machine activate on it's own. Luckily, no hands were in the work area.

So, the simplest long term solution is to disable the track pad for everything, but moving the mouse.

More
21 Apr 2015 13:29 - 21 Apr 2015 17:53 #57964 by ArcEye

I can't find any controls in the OS to kill these default "features".

What OS are you using, you haven't said?

If I were looking, the first thing I might try is setting all the 'TapButtons' or at least 2 and 3, to 0

wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad

regards

PS

I use a similar keyboard to this on my big mill, but a wired version (don't trust wireless near a VFD)
www.amazon.com/Perixx-PERIBOARD-710PLUS-...yboard+with+touchpad

I left the protective film on the touchpad because of all the oil etc and have had no problem with over sensitivity, you have to really tap it hard to get a mouse click
Last edit: 21 Apr 2015 17:53 by ArcEye.

More
22 Apr 2015 22:53 #58017 by bottleworks
I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. It looks like you're moving away from Ubuntu?

Under system / preferences / mouse
I'm not seeing any touchpad options.

More
22 Apr 2015 23:13 #58018 by ArcEye
Ubuntu is just Debian with pretty pictures and other bloat.

Have a look at the link regards system wide override through xorg.conf.d, that is the path I would start with.

regards

More
23 Apr 2015 07:52 #58027 by andypugh

I left the protective film on the touchpad because of all the oil etc and have had no problem with over sensitivity, you have to really tap it hard to get a mouse click

Some touchpads are just awful.

At work they are giving us all Panasonic Toughbooks, which are very expensive and have the worst touchpad ever. They register clicks and drags when not intended, and the cursor jumps 10mm in a random direction every time you lift your finger off. As a colleague said "After 10 minutes you want to hurt something".

Don't use anything with a "Versapad". If it wants to install VersaPad drivers then throw it away immediately. Better now and calmly than later in anger and frustration with a deadline.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds