How many people make living of the LinuxCNC?

More
13 Aug 2019 17:19 - 13 Aug 2019 17:44 #142046 by Tower
I have been thinking and speculating about how many people make living off the LinuxCNC software and affiliated hardware? (I do not mean people who use LinuxCNC to control theirs CNC machines, but who develop and support the CNC ecosystem.) We have some prime examples in Mesa or Pico hardware solutions and Tormach. But then there must be others.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2019 17:44 by Tower.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2019 17:22 #142048 by pl7i92
its a community so times of develop are not fixed somtimes like 2 peaople boost the system somtimes one 1 fixes bugs

we are all part of the future

More
13 Aug 2019 17:26 - 13 Aug 2019 17:27 #142051 by Tower
I made a type in the title. I meant "living off" in as a make monthly wage on regular basis. Like SUSE or RedHat or Canonical of Linux world.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2019 17:27 by Tower.

More
13 Aug 2019 18:53 #142073 by tommylight

I made a type in the title. I meant "living off" in as a make monthly wage on regular basis. Like SUSE or RedHat or Canonical of Linux world.

Sometimes yes, but rarely do regular jobs. Retrofits and my machines does bring some money occasionaly.
Otherwise i am known for saving badly managed busineses and factories, finding the right people, fixing the process and geting perfect products ( or near perfect ), mostly for export.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
13 Aug 2019 18:57 #142074 by Tower
And I have seemed to make another typo in the post explaining about my typo. Great. I have been thinking if there is a change to turn time spent studying the code into some kind of employment.

More
13 Aug 2019 22:29 #142089 by andypugh
Tormach paid someone to work on the LinuxCNC trajectory planner, but as far as I know that's the only occasion that anyone has made money from coding LinuxCNC. And that was a fixed-term contract, I believe.

There are a few companies using LinuxCNC in their product (PocketNC and Tormach at least).

I have carefully avoided ever being paid for anything.

More
13 Aug 2019 22:48 - 13 Aug 2019 22:53 #142091 by PCW
We have paid people for writing drivers but those have
also been fixed term per project contracts.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2019 22:53 by PCW.

More
13 Aug 2019 23:33 - 13 Aug 2019 23:34 #142094 by Grotius
I have another example.

If a company has 100 employees using window's.
You can ask a nice price to change this into a Ubuntu system.
More and more companies will take this step in the future. My price for 100 pc's is 10k. :dry:
Last edit: 13 Aug 2019 23:34 by Grotius.

More
14 Aug 2019 03:07 #142103 by rodw

I have another example.

More and more companies will take this step in the future. My price for 100 pc's is 10k. :dry:

Sorry Grotius, I think if I had a business with 100 people, I'd have them all hooked up to Google Gsuite and be running chromebooks. There are only 3 OS specific applications I use that are not browser based.
Linuxcnc,
Photo management
CAD design. (Could be cloud based with Onshape)

More
14 Aug 2019 21:45 #142164 by Tower

There are a few companies using LinuxCNC in their product (PocketNC and Tormach at least).

Tormach probably has someone who is capable of doing quick patches. PocketNC and JD2 are both using Machinekit, as far as I know.

I have carefully avoided ever being paid for anything.

That is great. And I salute you, sir. Unfortunately, I need to eat and to have roof over my head when I am sleeping and because of that wage is needed very much.

We have paid people for writing drivers but those have
also been fixed term per project contracts.

Yes, but in broader sense, you are using LinuxCNC to further your business. You are a producer of hardware without which the project would not be where it is today. (So I am counting it from this point.)

I have another example.

Company with 100 PCs usually means with about 100 employees. This kind of company really needs at least one full time IT technician.

Time to create page: 0.315 seconds