ball screw vs rack and pinion ?

More
13 Nov 2020 23:30 #189274 by shpatb
hello awesome people ,
I Just got my 2Nm cnc kit , i am planning to build to build a wood engraver/plastics cutter.
I ordered some hgw15cc 1meter long for X axis linear guide, i am planning to build it with 16mm ball screw diameter , is that enough for this build , also what is the maximum length for Y axis i could go for these motors (2Nm).
what about vibration is rack and pinion quieter than ballscrew , as i have no experience on these linear driving systems..
any general ideas would be highly appreciated ,
all the best Shpat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2020 02:56 #189573 by Bari
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, shpatb

More
18 Nov 2020 20:09 #189720 by shpatb
thank you very much sir!

More
18 Nov 2020 20:33 #189725 by chris@cnc
Hello shpatb,
The problem is the quality of the ballscrew. If you want to take the cheap Chinese it will be difficult over 1m. The runout is too bad and you get in rapid feed over 5m/min noise and vibration. The 400 watt servo on 5mm pitch is okay for this. With a rack and pinion you have a bigger pitch. So you have to take the motor one size bigger.
If you get good quality it should be a little easier with the ball screw ...
greetings christian
The following user(s) said Thank You: shpatb

More
18 Nov 2020 21:56 #189735 by shpatb
thank You for ur kind info Christian .
Im planning to take the z axis motor of my plasma cnc it is 3Nm and replace it with these i have 2Nm , so i think that should be enough , also im going with 20hgw rails one on each side of Y axis side instead of 15hgw on X , so i think that should stiffen the gantry enough.
Im going to be using this machine for light engraving and plastic cutting for 3d signs , so i think it should hande it just enough..
thanks for Ur time,
Shpat

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds