Ball nose mills

More
03 Jan 2015 21:01 #54523 by emcPT
Ball nose mills was created by emcPT
I have a lot (about 30 units) of new, quality end ball tapered mills that I got in a metallic cabinet that came together with a machine that I bough.
They were used for mold industry, and the mills were made in England, Sheffield.
If anyone is interested let me know. I would sell them for a reasonable price depending on the requested quantity.

Images are here:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B2x2WOxtQitRU2...Njc3Q3WE0&authuser=0
drive.google.com/open?id=0B2x2WOxtQitRZT...VXdzhMRDQ&authuser=0
drive.google.com/open?id=0B2x2WOxtQitRU1...VyV08xMjQ&authuser=0

Send a personal message so that the forum does not get full with exchange messages.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2015 19:14 #63058 by GaryLa
Replied by GaryLa on topic Ball nose mills
Please forgive my ignorance, but why are they threaded? What does that thread into?

More
27 Sep 2015 22:52 #63067 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Ball nose mills
Probably for a clarkson style collet.

Chris M

More
29 Sep 2015 16:51 #63193 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Ball nose mills
Indeed. The Clarkson Dedlock style collet is rather interesting. The tools screw into a collet, and then the collet and tool are put in the holder and the cap is tightened. The end of the cutter sits against a centre-point n the holder. Cutting torque then screws the cutter into the collet, but because the tool is hard against the end-stop the effect of this is to force the collet down into the end cap, gripping the tool.

It is semi-clever. The tools always sit at dead-length, and the harder you cut the tighter the grip. But if the thread on the tool is too short (and some are) you can end up with a tool that is loose in the chuck _and_ is irremovably tightened into the collet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eFalegname

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds