Trouble getting started

More
21 Apr 2009 21:03 #127 by tim
Trouble getting started was created by tim
I just changed my CAM software to EMC2 and my CAD software to Qcad. My system is a Oxy Fuel Torch System on a dual axis Cnc machine(Burny3) and transport data via floppy disk to a CNC mach. I have several questions and am VERY new to linux. Q1. which of the software selections is best for a dual axis machine? Q2. What additional software do I need to convert my DXF and DWG files to NGC files? and finally have i chose the correct software combination?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2009 07:04 #129 by alex_joni
tim wrote:

I just changed my CAM software to EMC2 and my CAD software to Qcad.

Well, EMC2 doesn't qualify as a CAM program. CAM is the process of converting the CAD data to g-code.
You can find a list of CAM programs here: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Cam

My system is a Oxy Fuel Torch System on a dual axis Cnc machine(Burny3) and transport data via floppy disk to a CNC mach.

I'm not sure I understand this. Your machine controller (the one responsible moving the motors) is: Mach? Burny? or emc2?

I have several questions and am VERY new to linux.

That's ok, nobody started all-knowing ;).

Q1. which of the software selections is best for a dual axis machine?

What kind of software? CAM? Machine controller? Simulation? etc..
Since it's the emc2 Forum, I'm sure you'll get recommends for using emc2 as the machine controller.

Q2. What additional software do I need to convert my DXF and DWG files to NGC files?

Again, see wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Cam
Most of the CAM programs have a small part called a postprocessor, which basicly translate the output from the CAM program to the g-code language of the control (usually a postprocessor for emc2, one for Fanuc, one for Haas, etc).

and finally have i chose the correct software combination?

Not sure what you have chosen, so I can't say :)

Regards,
Alex

More
22 Apr 2009 14:19 #130 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Trouble getting started
tim wrote:

Q2. What additional software do I need to convert my DXF and DWG files to NGC files?

I use Sheetcam for my plasma cutter. It is not open source but not expensive either. It has both Windoz and Linux versions. The latest version is somewhat young and needs some polish but works well for me.

John

More
23 Apr 2009 12:02 #137 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Trouble getting started
Hi tim,

E-Mail should not be used for general questions about EMC.

Please post your question on the forum so other people can benifit from the Q&A.

Thanks
John

More
24 Apr 2009 14:17 - 24 Apr 2009 14:18 #144 by WildRice
Replied by WildRice on topic Re:Trouble getting started
I found a Python program called dxf2gcod. Since it is Python, it runs cross platform.
#dxf2gcode_v01.py
#Programmers:   Christian Kohlöffel
#               Vinzenz Schulz
#
#Distributed under the terms of the GPL (GNU Public License)

The website is in German, but you can read the Google Translation here .

I have not tried it on anything complex yet, but the simple cases I have tried seem to work. If there is a problem, the code is GPL, so it can be fixed. I think that there is another program with the same name, but it is a '.exe' file and thus not cross platform. I have not tried that.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2009 14:18 by WildRice.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds