Can't get EMC2 to install Ubuntu

More
13 Jan 2012 20:14 #16729 by perryg114
I am trying install EMC2 on an old P4 machine with a new hard drive that has never been formatted. Ubuntu starts to load but when it gets to the disk partitioner it does not see the hard drive. I can see the hard drive in the BIOS but Ubuntu can't see it.

Perry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2012 22:27 #16738 by andypugh
perryg114 wrote:

I am trying install EMC2 on an old P4 machine with a new hard drive that has never been formatted. Ubuntu starts to load but when it gets to the disk partitioner it does not see the hard drive. I can see the hard drive in the BIOS but Ubuntu can't see it.

Any way to connect the HD to another machine to format it?

I am pretty sure I did exactly the same thing, and it worked. (Though mine was an SSD, so was blank, but might not have needed formatting in the true sense)

You could try making a bootable USB stick with the Ubuntu installer, though there is no logical reason that that should work any better.

More
14 Jan 2012 08:59 - 14 Jan 2012 09:01 #16759 by ArcEye
Hi

This has come up before, for some reason the partition manager from the install can have a problem with completely un-partitioned and unformatted HDDs.

First port of call would be to boot the live CD and run Partition Manager from it.
If it detects the drive, just format the whole thing ext2 or similar and you can change it around how you want it when installing.

This gives a how-to if you are unfamiliar with the process.
help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingANewHardDrive

If the Live CD does not detect your HDD (which it should) try downloading the system rescue iso image and burning to CD.
sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd/files/sysresccd-x86/

That should work and will enable you to put an initial file system on the HDD prior to installing EMC

(I am assuming that the drive is properly connected, jumpered etc. - always good to double check)

regards
Last edit: 14 Jan 2012 09:01 by ArcEye.

More
14 Jan 2012 19:29 #16772 by boldford
Another way is to download a copy of Puppy from
puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm
and use that to manage your disc(s) to start with.

More
19 Jan 2012 17:49 #16947 by perryg114
Ok well I figured out the problem. Ubuntu is too stupid to see a drive that is not on the same IDE buss as the CD ROM. When I hooked the drive to the same IDE cable with the HD as the master and the CD as the slave it saw the drive and installed no problem.

Perry

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds