Can't get LiveCD to boot.

More
18 Jan 2012 00:38 #16866 by BrCLy
I down loaded ubuntu10.04 Lucid Lynx to my HP desk top computer and got a match using Md5sum. Then I burned a LiveCD, restarted my computer and put the LiveCD in the CD drive. The computer screen begins to show printing as if it is booting. But after a short while the screen goes black. The CD drives seems to continue to work as indicated by it making noise. But the screen stays black and nothing else happens.

I've made 4 different LiveCDs and attempted to get them to boot but without success. I used two different CD drives. Any suggestions on what the problem is?

Thank you. Bruce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2012 07:52 #16870 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Can't get LiveCD to boot.
Hi

Try downloading 8.04 and installing that.

The base Ubuntu 10.04 system will not install on a lot of older hardware and can even have problems with some extremely new multi-core systems.

With 8.04 you can still have the latest versions of LinuxCNC (artist formerly known as EMC), but the the base system may be better suited to your hardware.

regards

More
18 Jan 2012 10:02 #16873 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Can't get LiveCD to boot.
This comes up quite often, and is an Ubuntu thing rather than a LinuxCNC thing.
The simple solution as ArcEye pointed out is to try 8.04 it may well boot fine and let you get started.

If you need to run 10.04 for some other reason you can take a look here...
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1472054
To get an idea what could be going on.

Rick G

More
19 Jan 2012 05:36 #16919 by BrCLy
Replied by BrCLy on topic Re:Can't get LiveCD to boot.
Thank you for the suggestions.
I tried tonight 8.04. I seemed to have gotten it down loaded to the computer but having trouble burning a live CD. It keeps telling me my CD is bad. The 3ed CD seemed to work but when I looked at the files on the CD there is only one file listed--an "iso" file. When I burned 10.04 previously, the CD had 13 files on it. So something appears wrong.

I tried to boot the 8.04 CD but the computer didn't recognize it and booted Windows instead.

More
19 Jan 2012 07:33 #16923 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Can't get LiveCD to boot.
Hi

It sounds like you have made a file system of the .iso file and burnt that, instead of burning the .iso to disc

Download the .iso and do a md5 check to be sure not corrupted
www.linuxcnc.org/hardy/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-emc2-aj13-i386.iso
(The MD5SUM of the CD is 1bab052ec879f941628927c988863f14)

If you are in Linux already, from a terminal run
cdrecord -v speed=52 fs=16m dev=/dev/sr0 /whereveryouputit/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-emc2-aj13-i386.iso
(you may need to change the /dev/sr0 for whatever your CD writer designation is if an earlier kernel, cdrecord will be translated to wodim by /etc/alternatives if not installed)

You could do the same sort of thing from the live CD but that might be a bit testing if you have not used Linux before.

If in windoze, then you need to make a CD from the IMAGE not from files.
ie. you should not be dragging and dropping anything, just selecting the name of the image you want to use.
Can't really help as have no idea what you are using.
Use Nero or something meant for burning CDs, not just hope windows explorer can do it properly.

regards

More
More
21 Jan 2012 03:41 #16993 by BrCLy
Replied by BrCLy on topic Re:Can't get LiveCD to boot.
Success!
I purchased new compact disks, down loaded 8.04 instead of 10.04, "didn't drag and drop", and used a different program to burn the CD. It worked without problem.
Thanks everyone for all your help.

More
21 Jan 2012 07:41 #16995 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Can't get LiveCD to boot.
Glad to hear it!

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds