Down loading Live CD

More
03 Feb 2012 19:35 #17367 by BrCLy
Down loading Live CD was created by BrCLy
1) My ubuntu Live CD 8.04 with EMC2 works fine. But it is set for Milling. I have been unable to determine how to change the formate to Lathe.

2) When I am finished using the Live CD there seems to be no way to shut the computer down besides pressing the "off" button on the computer which I thought was a "no, no". I can't get passed the message:

"Please remove disc, close tray and press continue."

Pressing "continue" doesn't do anything.

3) I have tried to down load the Live CD but get a message:

"Firefox is currently on off-line Mode and can't browse the web. Place browser in on-line mode."

What do I do?

4) Once I have both Windows 7 and Ubuntu loaded and I turn the computer on how will I be able to direct which OS I want to use?

Thank you for any help you can give on these questions.
Bruce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2012 07:34 #17382 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Down loading Live CD
Hi

1) Type emc into a terminal and you will get the full selection menu.
Choose lathe from the sim menu and check the box for 'create a desktop shortcut'.
Thereafter you can just click on the shortcut.

2) 8.04 does not shut down completely on some hardware.
On both my workshop computers it flashes all the Caps Lock, Scroll, Num lights on the keyboard and there is a momentary HDD light and then nothing further happens. At this point I can turn off the power.

3) Don't quite understand this one, you already have the Live CD?
If you have tried to open Firefox whilst you have no internet connection it will switch to offline mode
File > Work Offline will toggle the mode

4) If you install Ubuntu from the live CD, you can specify that it uses part of the existing HDD for Linux and it will set up a dual boot using grub.
Be very careful and read the options several times before selecting, the default will wipe windoze and install linux in its place.
If in doubt quit until you are sure what each option entails.

regards

More
05 Feb 2012 04:42 #17413 by BrCLy
Replied by BrCLy on topic Re:Down loading Live CD
Thank you ArcEye, I will try your suggestions.

More
05 Feb 2012 05:32 #17415 by BrCLy
I typed EMC into the terminal and choose sim-lathe. It gives me a 2 axis format but when I run the program it etches out EMC2 AXIS as if it is a mill.
It doesn't seem to be a lathe format

Firefox: I took care of the "off-line mode issue" (thank you for your instructions) but am now getting a message when trying to click on Firefox:

"Address not found. Fire fox can't find the server at
en-us.www.mozilla.com."

I am not sure what this means or how to fix it. Is it not finding my internet connection? I have wifi. Do I need to set that up with ubuntu? It internet connection works fine with Windows which is also on this computer.

Thank you. Bruce

More
05 Feb 2012 07:56 #17418 by ArcEye
1 What is drawn to the preview screen depends upon the file that is loaded, you have loaded the same file from the mill setup, albeit it should complain about the Y word
You can now experiment writing some g code and load that file

2 Sounds like it hasn't picked up your wifi connection.
Not something I can easily diagnose from here. A start would be to go into the netwoking app under Administration and see what that tells you.

If you are using wifi, I suspect you are using a laptop.
Not all laptop wifis work immediately with ubuntu and 8.04 never did properly with the wireless chip on my laptop.

Can you test using a wired connection?

After that you will need to establish exactly what wifi you have and check the ubuntu forum, it will have come up before

regards

More
09 Feb 2012 04:29 #17517 by BrCLy
Thank you ArcEye for the suggestions. Luckily I am not using a laptop so I don't have that to worry about. I will try using a wired connection. I can't get the printer to work either. I think you are suggesting for these types of questions I should move to the Ubuntu forum. So I will try there also.

I read a lot about the different software to use for CNC. Many positive comments about ubuntu. But it is sure hard to get it to work.

Thank you for your help.
Bruce

More
09 Feb 2012 08:27 - 09 Feb 2012 08:28 #17520 by ArcEye
Hi

I think you are suggesting for these types of questions I should move to the Ubuntu forum.

I would stick with it for now, try the wired LAN connection first.
They won't know anything about the LinuxCNC live CD, but if it can be narrowed down to a specific chipset or driver, the info should be there.

It appears that you are still using the Live CD as an OS and have not installed yet.

I don't know how good that is at picking up wifi, but it should definitely pick a wired LAN connection, if not there is definitely something awry.

Will need to know what computer and exactly what router / modem you are using, to be able to try and assist further

regards
Last edit: 09 Feb 2012 08:28 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds