Error: Makefile.inc must specify RTPREFIX

More
09 Jul 2012 22:19 #21737 by billooms
I want to make a locally-compiled version of LinuxCNC on a computer that already has LinuxCNC 2.5 installed. Note: this computer cannot run real-time, so it has the simulator version installed.

I downloaded a clone of the source in my home directory and made sure I had the master branch:

bill@Bill-Linux:~$ git clone git://git.linuxcnc.org/git/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/bill/linuxcnc-dev/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 109375, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (24324/24324), done.
remote: Total 109375 (delta 86592), reused 106698 (delta 84128)
Receiving objects: 100% (109375/109375), 58.38 MiB | 226 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (86592/86592), done.
bill@Bill-Linux:~$ cd linuxcnc-dev
bill@Bill-Linux:~/linuxcnc-dev$ git checkout master
Already on 'master'

Then, following section 2.1.2 of the "Installing LinuxCNC" wiki:

bill@Bill-Linux:~/linuxcnc-dev$ sudo apt-get build-dep emc2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to find a source package for emc2

I get the same error if I use "linuxcnc" instead of "emc2":

bill@Bill-Linux:~/linuxcnc-dev$ sudo apt-get build-dep linuxcnc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to find a source package for linuxcnc

I'm guessing that I'm missing some dependencies as a result of the above error, because when I try to do a make, I get errors:

bill@Bill-Linux:~/linuxcnc-dev$ cd src
bill@Bill-Linux:~/linuxcnc-dev/src$ ./autogen.sh
bill@Bill-Linux:~/linuxcnc-dev/src$ ./configure --enable-simulator
checking libgl1-mesa-dri workaround... test for libgl1-mesa-dri workaround failed, please file a bug
bill@Bill-Linux:~/linuxcnc-dev/src$ make
Makefile:55: Makefile.inc: No such file or directory
Makefile:66: *** Makefile.inc must specify RTPREFIX and other variables. Stop.

Is the "...RTPREFIX..." error due to missing dependencies? Or something else? Suggestions on how to correct?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2012 08:57 - 10 Jul 2012 16:33 #21743 by ArcEye
Hi

I think you are making this too difficult for yourself.

What version of Ubuntu did you end up running on your SandyBridge computer? Was it 10.04, hence why you are running the sim package?
Are you trying to build a new sim package with the updated linuxcncrsh or the rt package?

I assume the former, and this is why neither of the binaries Andy and I compiled ran on your system, because you are running a non rt kernel.

~/linuxcnc-dev$ sudo apt-get build-dep linuxcnc

Presently you are trying to download the linuxcnc package, but you already have downloaded the master source via git.
In the process, you probably never actually downloaded the build-essentials because the apt call failed on linuxcnc.

If you want to be really sure you have everything you need run
sudo apt-get install cvs build-essential fakeroot debhelper libpth-dev libgtk2.0-dev kernel-wedge tcl8.5-dev tk8.5-dev bwidget python-old-doctools python-tk python-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgnomeprintui2.2-dev libncurses5-dev libxaw7-dev gettext libreadline5-dev lyx texlive-extra-utils imagemagick texinfo groff qt3-dev-tools

Some are not necessary for just a linuxcnc build but disk space is cheap and you will see one familiar name in there.

Then sudo apt-get install linux-headers-{uname -r}

Ubuntu installs tcl / tk 8.4 by default but they clash with 8.5
so run
sudo apt-get remove tcl8.4-dev tk8.4-dev
(edit: if you don't have the dev packages already (probably don't), try just tcl8.4 and tk8.4)

You don't need the master, I would suggest you download the 2.5 sim
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/lucid/v2.5_b....100.g7ddb3f0.tar.gz

or rt version depending what you are trying to do and what kernel you have
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/lucid/v2.5_b....100.g7ddb3f0.tar.gz

Unzip into /usr/src and from /usr/src/build/src - run
./configure --enable-simulator ( or ./configure --enable-run-in-place)
make
make setuid (if rt build)

Then you can copy Andy's diff file to /usr/src/build/linuxcncrsh.patch
and run from there
patch -p1 < ./linuxcncrsh.patch
to patch the linuxcncrsh.cc file

Then run make again from ./src and your linuxcncrsh binary in ../bin will have been recompiled with the new code

regards
Last edit: 10 Jul 2012 16:33 by ArcEye.

More
10 Jul 2012 19:32 #21758 by billooms
Thanks for your detailed response. As always, I appreciate the help.

Some clarification on what I'm trying to do:

In the shop, I recently installed one of the Intel D525MW computers in place of the very old PC I had. That's a really nice little board, and its been running well for about 3 weeks. Even in the warmer temperatures it runs OK because of it's low power dissipation. I communicate between that computer and my design machine using linuxcncrsh -- mainly for probing. It's working fine with the divide-by-2 patch, but I want the real patched version that Andy so kindly provided.

In the office at home, I'm using the SandyBridge computer for software development and developing a new pendant design. I have Ubuntu 10.04 (kernel 2.6.32-41-generic) running with the sim package. That's working well, but of course it can't run the rt package per our earlier dialog.

So now, I'm trying to get Andy's patch on the SandyBridge computer for running in the sim mode (and I'll do the same on the shop computer as well for rt).

Thanks for the detailed instructions on getting myself out of trouble. Here's my progress:
sudo apt-get install biglist.... OK
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-{uname -r} I'm missing something here. Do I need to substitute something for uname? I get:
E: Command line option 'r' [from -r}] is not known.
sudo apt-get remove tcl8.4-dev tk8.4-dev tcl8.4 tk8.4 OK
Downloaded the 2.5 sim into /usr/src OK
./configure --enable-simulator OK

Before I do a make, I want to understand what I'm missing on the sudo apt-get install linux-headers-{uname -r}

Bill

More
10 Jul 2012 20:13 - 10 Jul 2012 20:31 #21759 by billooms
Got it figured out:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-41-generic worked.

The make and patch worked and I have Andy's edited version giving the expected results.

Thanks again!
Last edit: 10 Jul 2012 20:31 by billooms.

More
11 Jul 2012 08:04 - 11 Jul 2012 08:09 #21780 by ArcEye

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-{uname -r} I'm missing something here. Do I need to substitute something for uname?

Sorry, that was shorthand notation, uname -r will return the kernel version, I inserted it because I didn't know what kernel you were running.
Assumption of esoteric knowledge on my part.

Glad you are now sorted, the DW525 seems a good stable board, be interesting to see if it does fare OK without a fan in the heatwave you are having over there at the moment.
I can swap you 14 degrees C and rain!

regards
Last edit: 11 Jul 2012 08:09 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds