Dual boot help...?

More
29 Oct 2012 04:25 #25963 by PetefromTn
Hey guys,
I am having some issues I cannot resolve here. I am considering retrofitting my Cincinatti Arrow 500 VMC to run on EMC/linuxcnc and the other day I downloaded the software with the intention of running it from the CDrom over windows just to get a feel for it. I know that this is something that it is supposed to be able to do from this forum. However when I burned the software to disk and then rebooted the computer and installed the disk it would not load the software correctly. So after tinkering with it for awhile I found that it said there is a utility that helps the software boot from the disk if it does not do it automatically so i installed that and tried again. This time it DID install the software and I was able to peruse the files and run the simulated EMC program on my windows laptop. All was right with the world then and I was enjoying reading about the setup and configurations etc.. However when I tried to reboot the computer the next day I found that now my computer upon startup gives me a dual boot option to open in Wondows 7 or in Ubuntu before windows loads. This is quite frustrating and I want to remove it and go back to JUST windows on my machine. I do not think it actually loaded UBUNTU onto the machine but it does act like it is on there. If you select ubuntu instead of windows 7 on startup it then goes to some kinda prompt and I cannot get it to delete this setup. Is there an easy way to remove the UBUNTU dual boot option and any software that is not supposed to be there? I actually liked the UBUNTU and LinuxCNC but I did not wish to load it onto my personal laptop permanently. If I could get it removed I would be happy. I am going to start researching how to build a proper computer for the retrofit using LinuxCNC here in a short while and will install the whole program and OS on that computer. Thanks so much for any help here. Peace

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2012 07:03 #25972 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Dual boot help...?

So after tinkering with it for awhile I found that it said there is a utility that helps the software boot from the disk if it does not do it automatically

Was that "grub" by any chance?
This sounds like it isn't really a LinuxCNC question, and you are likely to find better answers elsewhere on the Internet.
www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-safely-unin...al-boot-environment/
Looks like one way, but read all the way through, because the PC spends some time in the middle not able to boot into any OS at all. And that would be a bad time to find that you don't have the required boot discs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.428 seconds