Question for Building Linuxcnc from scratch

More
06 Nov 2012 16:08 #26302 by tkamsker
Hi,
i do have an development machine where i now want to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10 i do android and some kernel development there so my question is in your exoerience
would i be able to build an Linuxcnc 2.5 or 2.6 there ?
i do have an Atm board with Parallel and stuff which runs the Live cd fine but installed sucks ,..
it is something with the IDE driver so my sinister plan is to build an perfect kernel for that stuff ,..
2nd i am thinking of and USB Hardware where i also want to use the Demo but thats another story

So my question is does it make sense or should i stay with 10.10 ?
any hint apprechiated.
thx
thomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2012 17:34 #26303 by ArcEye
Hi

At present the kernel for stock installations is fixed at 2.6.32-122-rtai, ie the kernel that ships with the Ubuntu 10.04 based Live CD

What kernel can be compiled with rtai patches is limited by the magma / rtai development. Last time I looked there were patches for 2.6.38 that worked.
There is certainly not one for the 3.x.x kernels

The push amongst the developers at present is to switch to a RT_PREEMPT or xenomai kernel and several variations are being trialled.

If you want to try building say the 2.6.38 kernel to see if the drivers deal with your hardware better, these instructions will get you started.
code.google.com/p/neo-technical/wiki/emc2ubuntu

They are out of date regards some actual packages, but the principle is the same.
Off the top of my head you need to substitute tcl and tk 8.5 for 8.4 and make sure you remove 8.4.
Also there is a substitute of python-old-doc-tools for python2.5-dev, but I think that is prompted by apt anyway.

Building Linuxcnc of any version is not a problem, you just need a rtai kernel first.

The sim version of Linuxcnc will already run on 12.04, so if you just want to develop and not run a machine, that could be a better option.

regards

More
06 Nov 2012 19:28 - 06 Nov 2012 19:29 #26306 by andypugh

2nd i am thinking of and USB Hardware

The only way to use USB hardware is to relocate the trajectory planner and motion modules onto the USB hardware.
Whilst not impossible (ariasrobo have done it: youtube with link to their site ) it is non-trivial.

There is a bleeding-edge version of LinuxCNC which works with Xenomai and RT_PREEMPT:
thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.devel/8147
Last edit: 06 Nov 2012 19:29 by andypugh.

More
09 Dec 2012 06:11 #27432 by pfred1

Whilst not impossible it is non-trivial.

That is really understating it!

Perhaps you could elaborate some on just how non-trivial you mean? I'm also not seeing a link to their site for more information.

More
09 Dec 2012 07:24 #27435 by andypugh

Perhaps you could elaborate some on just how non-trivial you mean?

I mean I wouldn't even know where to start.

More
09 Dec 2012 15:36 #27442 by cmorley
They publish the source code - you can look at it your self if you like.
google search their company name and linuxcnc should turn up a link.

More
09 Dec 2012 20:36 #27451 by ArcEye
It took a bit of finding, because google keeps 'correcting' your spelling to ARIAS

en.araisrobo.com/linuxcnc

There are links and git repository addresses etc

regards

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds