Configuration Locations

More
16 Nov 2012 01:47 #26638 by rukus121
I have a machine configuration n a thumb drive that I would like to save on my hard drive. Linux comes with predifined configuations and I would like to save my configuration there. I need to know where those predifiined files are located and will I be able to save my configuration there.

Thanks everyone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2012 03:47 #26641 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Configuration Locations
linuxcnc/configs/nameofyourconfig

If you just pick any config from the config picker the directories will be set up for you

John

More
16 Nov 2012 13:17 #26658 by rukus121
Replied by rukus121 on topic Configuration Locations
Thanks but I was trying to get the configuration of my machine included in the config picker. I think that would easier than picking a config at random and modifying it. So, is it difficult to copy the config of my machine to the config picker. I haven't been able to locate the config picker folder.

More
16 Nov 2012 16:52 #26661 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Configuration Locations
just make sure as John says that the folder with your configuration hal files etc are in ~/your named home dir/linuxcnc/configs/your configuration name/your configuration files here

make the folder name the same as the named configuration may help , and no spaces in the folder name or filenames
this works fine .. it will show in the picker as the folder name then drop down to the INI file name of your configuration

More
16 Nov 2012 20:34 #26671 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Configuration Locations
As soon as you put your config into the /linuxcnc/configs folder it is available in the config picker. It will be in "My Configs". However it is much easier to just right click on the desktop and create a launcher for your config.

John

More
19 Nov 2012 17:25 #26792 by rukus121
Thanks cncbasher,
The trouble I'm having is finding where the dir/linuxcnc/configs/my_config_name/my_config_file goes. I have a clean install right now. No downloads or programs loaded. The config picker shows three dir that I can choose from, "My Configurations" is the first option. the other two I can't remember because I'm in windows now. I have searched all over the file system and can not find a "linuxcnc" directory. I've tried doing as John suggested, creating a launcher from the desktop. but the files .hal or .ini don't seem to work either.

I think this is something simple. I'm just not that familiar with ubuntu and it's file structure. don't give up on me yet.

Thanks

More
19 Nov 2012 17:43 - 19 Nov 2012 17:46 #26795 by cncbasher
I presume your running the 2.5.1 live cd ...
the directory linuxcnc is under your home folder then you should find a configs folder within that

yes linuxcan be a bit intimidating ..

the actual samples are held in /usr/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples/sample-configs
but don't place any of your own there ..

place your own or copy to /home/linuxcnc/configs/yournamedir/ your files

run the stepconfig wizard program from the menu picker and save and you should then find the linuxcnc folder , as probably because you don't have any saved configs it's not been created
just pick a sample example and then save it , should do the trick
Last edit: 19 Nov 2012 17:46 by cncbasher.

More
19 Nov 2012 20:53 #26799 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Configuration Locations

place your own or copy to /home/linuxcnc/configs/yournamedir/ your files

Note that there is a bit of "shorthand" there.
Your home folder will be /home/rukus121/ or similar. Where the leading / means "bottom level"
cd / will take you right down to the bottom of the flesystem. Or you can click "file system" in the GUI browser.

You can get to your home folder from the command line with cd ~ or by clicking "Home Folder" in the GUI.
You can start from your home folder by using ~ and so cd ~/linuxcnc/configs should take you to the configs folder no matter where you are in the tree.

More
20 Nov 2012 03:01 #26808 by rukus121
Thanks, this did the trick. i picked a config and saved it. then went to the usb thumb drive and copied the configs I wanted to a new folder where the picker and put the previous config. I then deleted the the first config and voila I have my config in 'My_Configs'.

The picker created some locked folders that I would like to delete, but I think I'll hold off till I'm more familiar with ubuntu. And this forum.

Thanks again.

More
20 Nov 2012 03:28 #26809 by cncbasher
glad you found your way , all is not lost ! ...

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds