Very slow UI response

More
03 Mar 2013 01:19 #30773 by blesbok19
Hello,

I'm brand new to linuxcnc (and mostly new to linux in general). I've installed the latest live cd on several systems, just to explore and learn, and in each case the UI is glacially slow and unresponsive. Dragging windows, typing, any type of interaction will freeze for seconds at a time making the system effectively unusable. On my first attempt I attributed the slow performance to a bottom of the barrel atom processor, but more recently I've tried a modern-ish cpu (i7 860), with heaps of ram and an ssd, and get the same problem. I've installed from a CD and USB with the same results. The gpu is a modest radeon x600, but it has worked with no issues in windows. Is this a graphics issue? Or something else? An ATI driver appears to be installed, but is the one packaged with the live cd the correct one for my card?

Thanks,
Brent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2013 03:22 #30779 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Very slow UI response
That happens in Ubuntu (general), or just with linuxcnc open?
Did you tested the latency?

More
03 Mar 2013 05:45 #30781 by blesbok19
Replied by blesbok19 on topic Very slow UI response
This happens without running linuxcnc. Running the latency test on my first system (atom 330) hung the machine. I haven't tried on the newer system, however the latencies I'm seeing are measured in seconds, not microseconds.

More
03 Mar 2013 07:05 #30782 by blesbok19
Replied by blesbok19 on topic Very slow UI response
Ok, it was just a newbie mistake. I installed the ATI proprietary driver and the system is now completely responsive. Latency test gives 5500/1470 with no activity and 10700/7800 with a few videos playing, files downloading, moving windows, etc.

Time to start playing with IO.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds