Intel D510mo board

More
18 Apr 2010 19:49 #2624 by Bob
Intel D510mo board was created by Bob
Hi, I am new to Ubuntu and EMC2 but have run BDI on a sherline mill for a number of years. Am not familiar with Linux much at all, so have been playing with the live-CD. I have tried live CD on a number of laptops and found (not suprisingly) that the latency is a problem. I am trying to build up a simple ITX system for a project where I need to simply run one or two stepper motors. I have put together s simple system with the D510mo atom motherboard. I have looked a lot on the web to see what others have done and it was not clear that anyone has managed to get this card to work, although it is generating a lot of interest. Well I have the system together and was able to get windows 7 running on it. However I have had no luck getting the Live CD in any form to boot and load ubuntu. No matter what I do i wind up with initramfs prompt. Has anyone gotten this board to work? If so are there any latency figures for it? Should I wait for another live CD release with a later version of Ubuntu? :(
or should I send this board back and look for something else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2010 11:09 #2628 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Intel D510mo board
For my Hardinge the mobo was too new for the live cd so I downloaded the 8.04.4 version of Ubuntu and loaded that then went to the wiki site and followed the instructions there for installing the rest.

John

More
19 Apr 2010 18:44 #2630 by Bob
Replied by Bob on topic Re:Intel D510mo board
Thanks. That seemed to get me at least into Ubuntu. However I hit the problem that the Ethernet connection does not work. Saw a lot of stuff on the web about driver problems with the Realtech chip used on this card.
There is a lot of interest in this card since it does not need fans and is low power. It also has 4 processors at 1.66Ghz which all show up in the 8.04.4 ubuntu. I have not been able to get to a point where I can test the latency though. I will try to keep this group informed as I go along because the card does seem like a natural for the CNC application. I have installed into a SATADOM 4Gb vertical flash module and plan to have an all solid state small ItX box solution.

More
24 Apr 2010 13:20 #2673 by Bob
I just installed Ubuntu 10.4 rc on this motherboard and everything worked fine. came right up with the network working.
I have only used the CD version and not installed it yet. but first look looks like it worked fine.

Thought this might be of interest to folks considering using this motherboard. More later

More
24 Apr 2010 19:51 #2679 by Bob
I have manged to get Ubuntu 8.04.4 running and to get the Ethernet working in that version. However everytime I reboot I need to install the 8168 driver from Realtek. Have not figured out how to blacklist the old module. When online I could follow the directions for installing EMC, but the realtime kernel is not there and when I try to start CNC I get an error message that the real time kernel is not loaded. Also the latency test does not run.

upside is I am beginning to get familiar with Ubuntu and linux. downside is that it is very time consuming.

When is the emc on ubuntu 10.4 coming?

More
24 Apr 2010 21:06 #2687 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Intel D510mo board
Ubuntu defaults to the non real time kernel so at boot up you have to pick the real time kernel. I deleted the rest with the synaptic package manager on my machines.

John

More
25 Sep 2010 01:09 #4328 by Bob
Let the D510 board set idle until the 10.4 live CD came out. Installed fine and everything seems to work.
Latency numbers look good. Just have to wait for a cable for the parallel port header!

This board should make a very nice system.

More
25 Sep 2010 18:12 #4335 by Bob
d510mo system Ubuntu now fully updated.
Running the latency test
Max interval Max jitter
servo 1007558 9686
base 36682 12258 long time run lots of typing activity

servo 1022620 3867
base 31361 6401 run with no other activity

servo 1005548 7148
base 33281 8321 shorter run lot of typing activity

This looks to be a nice machine. mounts on the back of the monitor in mini ITX box
low power --no fans. only issue now is getting the parallel header to db25 adapter.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds