Installing linuxcnc 2.5.1

More
06 Apr 2013 03:07 #32320 by customcutter
I made an ISO disc last Sept. version 2.5.1. I have already installed it on the hard drive. I printed a User Manual and another Manual almost 300 pages combined. Can I use the 2.5.2 user manual to intall 2.5.1?

I got the cart ahead of the horse and clicked on the Sherline 3axis inch and it is installed as the ini file? All of the other configuration files are gone. I hope to add a 4th axis in the near future.

I don't have access to the net on that computer, but am trying to get the drivers, etc so that it can be . Should I uninstall 2.5.1 and burn another ISO disc with 2.5.2 and install it? Can I add the other axis later if I go ahead with 2.5.1? I guess I can copy the sample config files that are missing on the hard drive?

thanks,
Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2013 04:37 #32327 by customcutter
I tried a quick fix by reinstalling the 2.5.1 CD. Now instead of going to the ubuntu screen, it boots up to a black and white screen asking for username and password. When I enter those I get a command prompt.

I tried booting up in Windows to see if I could uninstall and it doesn't even show the files, they must be hidden.

More
06 Apr 2013 18:53 - 06 Apr 2013 18:55 #32342 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Installing linuxcnc 2.5.1
The LiveCD has 2.5.0. The 2.5 version will not have any changes other than bug fixes and the third number indicates that level. So the manuals for 2.5.0 are the same as 2.5.2.

Did you install LinuxCNC using the LiveCD?

Is this a dual boot install? That can be troublesome...

John
Last edit: 06 Apr 2013 18:55 by BigJohnT.

More
06 Apr 2013 20:10 #32343 by customcutter
John:

Yes,I Installed from a live CD. Was trying to configure the steppers, clicked on the 3 axis Sherline inch and it auto deleted all the other config's. I thought I could just reinstall and it would rewrite the files it deleted. No such luck. Now it boots up to black screen ask for username and password. When I enter those it goes to a command prompt.

I'm thinking copy my photo's personal files etc, and rewrite the hard drive. Any other options before I do that?

I guess the 2.5.1 and 2.52 versions have to be updated online, based on your statement that the live CD is 2.5.0?

Good news is I've hired someone to run my lawnservice (too many back problems). I've spent the last month getting the 5i25/7i76 wired to the controller and installing all 3 steppers and brackets. Now I'm dedicated to getting this thing operational and seeing if I can make parts.

thanks,
Ken

More
06 Apr 2013 21:54 #32345 by customcutter
Presently trying a system restore in Windows to the day before LiveCD was installed twice.

Ken

More
06 Apr 2013 22:47 #32346 by customcutter
System restore said that it was successful.

However, it still boots up to black screen asking for name/password, etc.

No joy.

Ken

More
07 Apr 2013 00:42 #32350 by BigJohnT
Ken,

While a dual boot system should just work I've read about problems from time to time when people try it.

It would be much easier to just have a dedicated CNC computer. That being said I've never seen clicking on anything in LinuxCNC that would delete anything at all. Are you sure you don't have hard drive problems? At a minimum I would put a different hard drive in and install LinuxCNC by it self on that hard drive.

John

More
07 Apr 2013 05:53 #32354 by customcutter
OK, I've been clicking a few more buttons, and more exploring. If I interupt the "boot sequence", I have Ubuntu as the first choice, 2nd is Ubuntu recovery mode, then there are 2 memtest modes, then Windows XP, another Ubuntu, and finally another Ubuntu recovery mode.

If I let it boot up in the first mode, I get the black screen with a command prompt. No GUI

If I let it boot up in Windows XP, I get Windows XP.

If I let it boot up in the next to last Ubuntu I get my GUI screen from yesterday with files I left on the Desktop. I clicked on Apps, Linux, LinuxCNC and it shows My Configs, with 3 axis Sherline inch. All of the other Sample configs are still there but collapsed. I thought it would expand if I double clicked on the title. Nope, gotta click on the small + symbol. I thought the files were deleted, but Ubuntu only moved them when I clicked on the 3 axis Sherline.

I took a look at the hard drive from Ubuntu. It shows 2 main partitions on my 100gb drive.

1st partition is 34 gb NTFS file system. (Pretty sure this is Windows XP)

2nd partition is labeled "extended 66gb" partition but is broken down into 4 sections.
a. 21GB ext4, it is linux (0X83) device /dev/sda7
b. 954MB Sw..., it is linux(0X82) device /dev/sda8
c. 42GB ext4, it is linux (0X83) device /dev/sda5
d. 1.5GB , it is linux (0X82) device /dev/sda6

I'm thinking the first install is partitions c & d, and that the second install is a & b? Should I delete/ format partitions a & b?

thanks,
Ken

More
07 Apr 2013 09:09 #32362 by customcutter
I'm thinking the best option may be to make my XP install/backup disc to CD. Copy all my personal files, pictures etc onto a thumb drive and transfer to my current desktop. Then delete reformat this hard drive with Ubuntu and reinstall the live disc.

Might be easier and better than trying to undo what I've already done. Plus, it won't be a dual boot environment.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
Ken

More
07 Apr 2013 18:36 #32376 by BigJohnT
Do you have another hard drive you could put in this computer?

I'm not much of a partition guy, I usually just tell Ubuntu to use the whole drive.

When you pick a sample configuration from the configuration selector by going to Applications > CNC > LinucCNC it will save a copy of that configuration to /linuxcnc/configs/nameofconfig. This is so you can modify the saved configuration. When you open the configuration selector on if you check the create desktop shortcut then when you pick a configuration it will add a desktop shortcut that you can use to launch your configuration from then on.

John

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds