Installing linuxcnc 2.5.1

More
07 Apr 2013 19:39 #32380 by customcutter
OK, I'll copy my pics and docs. Then reformat the drive and do a reinstall of the live disc.

Haven't used this computer in 6-7 years, so nothing lost unless I lose my pics really. I'd hate to lose pics of the bike trip down the Blue Ridge.

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2013 07:59 #32411 by customcutter
OK, got the pics and docs transfered earlier today.

Then I tried deleting and formating the hard drive. Some difficulties but was finally able to do it from the live disc, and help from the internet on the laptop.

Currently re-installing the live disc. Chose to reformat the hard drive during the install.

Everything should be good to go in the AM.

thanks,
Ken

More
08 Apr 2013 19:20 #32422 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Installing linuxcnc 2.5.1
Ken,

Did you run the latency test for an extended period of time? 99.9% of the time laptops do not make good CNC computers due to hardware level power saving features.

John

More
08 Apr 2013 19:49 #32425 by customcutter
John:

I have Ubuntu installed on a desktop. I was using my laptop for access to the internet trying to figure out how to format the hard drive, and reinstall Ubuntu. I had read several post stating that laptops are not good candidates.

Everything is properly installed now on the desktop. Ran the latency test last night again trying "abuse" the system. Ran glx gears in the background and tried opening several large files in Administration. Worst numbers were Servo 10988 Base 13590.

Dont have any music, pics, graphics installed on that computer that I could play with.

thanks,
Ken

More
08 Apr 2013 19:51 #32426 by BigJohnT
Whew! I saw laptop and said holy crap batman...

John

More
08 Apr 2013 22:25 - 08 Apr 2013 22:27 #32435 by customcutter
Posting from Linux computer on temporary cat5e cable. :woohoo:

Ken

PS will updates automatically install?

I know I'll have to retrieve Chris's file. Just wanted to know about the other updates?

Ken
Last edit: 08 Apr 2013 22:27 by customcutter. Reason: PS

More
08 Apr 2013 23:01 #32437 by BigJohnT
Go to System > Adminstration > Update Manager and check for updates. Don't update the OS, everything else is ok.

John

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds