Debian Wheezy RT_PREEMPT install

More
03 May 2013 23:53 #33586 by tomate
Hello,
First, let me say that I am pretty new to CNC. I use a 3 axis mill (like this one ) for 2 years now
And English is not my native language ( i'm french ) so I may have misunderstood things. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

My current breakout board died because of a motor short-circuit. I was running it with ubuntu 12.04, xenomai kernel and "rtos-integration-preview3" branch.
So I decided to go for a more reliable, better quality hardware, and bought a Mesa 5i25 / 7i76 and Gecko G203V drives.

From what I understood, the 5i25 does what you call "hardware stepgen" and the computer latency numbers are much less critical than "software stepgen". right ?
So I installed a Debian Wheezy with the rt_preempt kernel ( I was fed up with ubuntu 12.04 / xenomai that didn't let me install fglrx graphic driver ).

So my main question is : what version of LinuxCNC can I install ?
- the stable 2.5.2 ? From what I understood, it is RTAI-only.
- master branch ?
- rtos-integration-preview3 ?
I am looking for something pretty stable, that can work with the rt_preempt kernel.

Would I gain anything at using a xenomai or rtai kernel that have better latency numbers ?

Even though I am not skilled coder at all, I have a look at devel mailinglist regularly, and it looks like you, guys, are doing a fantastic job.
The new version that will run with multiple rt kernels looks like a major step forward. Shouldn't this upcoming version be granted a "LinuxCNC 3.0" name ?

Thank you so much for your work.

Christophe
The following user(s) said Thank You: KenC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2013 17:49 #33601 by ArcEye
Hi

I should go on the devel list and ask this one

There are several versions in existence for testing, at different repositories.
Only fully tested and signed off changes will be in the master.

I suspect you will want the version in Michael H's repo, but I don't know what the state of play with RT_PREMPT is

He will soon tell you

regards

More
05 May 2013 02:49 #33619 by tomate
Ok, I'll give a try at the mailing list.
Thank you very much for your answer.
Best regards,

More
05 May 2013 03:10 #33621 by tomate
Ok, I'll give a try at the mailing list.
Thank you very much for your answer.
Best regards,

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds