live cd install used usb installer ?

More
16 Jun 2013 20:54 #35707 by klein
hi i'm new to Linuxcnc but not new to linux , i tried to install the live cd and had errors getting it installed so i used multisystem usb installer to install ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc3-i386.iso install went as normal for any other linux install running the uname -a gives me 2.6.32-122-rtai #rtai SMP Tue Jul 27 12:44:07 CDT 2010 i686 GNU/Linux so i'm running the rtai kernel i installed it i have not done anything else but booter it up, i was going through a tutorial on pyvcp and when i run the command pyvcp -c mypanel tiny.xml
it returns in my terminal RTAPI: ERROR: could not open shared memory (errno=2) Segmentation fault, is there something else i need to do after the install when reading i don't seem to have some of the directories i have been reading about with others that have this problem i do have /usr/realtime-2.6.32-122-rtai but everything else looks the same

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2013 22:06 #35713 by ArcEye
Hi

If you got this, which is identical to what you describe

root@INTEL-QUAD:/# pyvcp -c mypanel tiny.xml
RTAPI: ERROR: could not open shared memory (errno=2)
RTAPI: Locked memory limit is 64KiB, recommended at least 20480KiB.
This can cause the error 'could not open shared memory'.
For more information, see
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?LockedMemory
Segmentation fault

The answer is simple, re-read the docs and you will see that the command should be

halrun -I loadusr pyvcp -c mypanel tiny.xml

Without halrun, realtime is not loaded, which is why it could not access shared memory, there wasn't any.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: klein

More
16 Jun 2013 22:43 #35714 by klein
thank you ArcEye
i did have /etc/security/limits.conf (* - memlock 20480 #EMC2) was already there but had to add (session required pam_limits.so) to /etc/pam.d/common-session now it works as expected and after checking i was working with the tutorial for emc2 and not emc 2.4 is there a pyvcp tutorial for emc 2.5?

More
16 Jun 2013 23:11 #35716 by ArcEye
The 2.5 docs are here

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/

regards

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds