Installing on 12.04 using AraisRobo Hardware

More
06 Jul 2013 14:13 #36356 by epineh
Hi all, as the title suggests I am going to try to get my new machine up and running using the Arais Robo hardware, and 12.04

So far so good, I have followed the instructions as per :

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ArtekBranch

And have compiled everything without any errors.

However when I try to run LinuxCNC I get the following errors :

LINUXCNC - master-2012.07.18 ARAIS ROBOT TECHNOLOGY
Error in startup script: couldn't load file "/home/gajafajumpa/linuxcnc/tcl/bin/../linuxcnc.so": /home/gajafajumpa/linuxcnc/tcl/bin/../linuxcnc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
while executing
"load [file join [file dirname [info script]] linuxcnc[info sharedlibextension]]"
(file "/home/gajafajumpa/linuxcnc/tcl/bin/../linuxcnc.tcl" line 59)
invoked from within
"source [file join [file dirname [info script]] .. linuxcnc.tcl]"
(file "/home/gajafajumpa/linuxcnc/tcl/bin/pickconfig.tcl" line 29)

I have a friend that managed to get this up and running on his PC but says that the ARTEK Branch page looked different when he did it (about a week or so ago)

I cannot find the linuxcnc.so file anywhere on the PC or the internet for that matter so I assume it is something that is created during the compile.

I have emailed Arais Robo with the details and waiting for his reply.

I will keep this thread going until (hopefully) everything is working as a build log as others may wish to try this out.

If anybody has ideas on things to try I am all ears, just be aware I am by no means a linux guru, but I can copy and paste :)

Cheers.

Russell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2013 23:41 #36366 by ArcEye
Hi

The error is to do with your library paths, probably from building in your home directory instead of /usr/src

If you have built a RIP build of linuxcnc, the python library linuxcnc.so is in .../lib/python/ of that build

If you have installed into your file system, then the lib is at /usr/lib/pyshared/python2.6/

The error is from the initial config chooser dialog, which is written in python and uses that lib

regards

More
07 Jul 2013 06:21 #36376 by epineh
Hi thanks for the reply.

So is it just a matter of moving the library file or should I change the library paths ?

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions...

More
07 Jul 2013 15:37 - 07 Jul 2013 19:11 #36383 by ArcEye

So is it just a matter of moving the library file or should I change the library paths ?

I don't know what type of builds you did, but this looks horribly hard coded

couldn't load file "/home/gajafajumpa/linuxcnc/tcl/bin/../linuxcnc.so"

I would do a git clone again, but this time into /usr/src

Build as per the instructions which should leave you with a RIP build of a simulator (you may need to use sudo prefixing commands)

Make sure you have set the other library paths as per the wiki

# Add /usr/local/lib to shared library search path
# You might want to add the following line to ~/.bashrc
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

The linuxcnc.so lib will be in lib/python and that is where it should be looking

Make sure you do

sudo make setuid (don't need it for a sim build)
cd ../
. ./scripts/rip-environment

after building and before you try to run it, and type linuxcnc from the same terminal not from a menu

Hopefully should work, albeit the wiki says that the simulator does not work, so not entirely sure of the point.

regards
Last edit: 07 Jul 2013 19:11 by ArcEye.

More
07 Jul 2013 19:26 #36384 by ArcEye
Hi

I cloned the repos from the wiki and built the libraries no problem

The linuxcnc branch would not compile until I added #include <stdint.h> to motion.h, for some reason it was not recognising int32_t as a type
This is probably to do with my setup, different kernel, headers and much else beyond.

Having built linuxcnc the config picker works fine, so got beyond your problem.
But when launching any of the scara sims, it errors trying to find motmod.so
This did not build for some reason, although it is in the Makefile

LINUXCNC - master-2012.07.18 ARAIS ROBOT TECHNOLOGY
Machine configuration directory is '/usr/src/arias-linuxcnc/configs/araisrobo'
Machine configuration file is 'xyza-sim.ini'
Starting LinuxCNC...
io started
halcmd loadusr io started
motmod: dlopen: /usr/src/arias-linuxcnc/rtlib/motmod.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
xyza-stepper.hal:6: /usr/src/arias-linuxcnc/bin/rtapi_app exited without becoming ready
xyza-stepper.hal:6: insmod failed, returned -1
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
Cleanup done

As I have no use for it and this could be the error mentioned in the wiki, I gave up at this point without trying to figure out why motmod.so was not built.

Interested to see if you get the same.

NB all builds were done in /usr/src

regards

More
09 Jul 2013 19:08 #36442 by epineh
Hi, I got a little further, I had to install some more packages and the config picker now works.

Next on the list is that I cannot connect to the FPGA over USB so I will go through the hardware side of things and see what I have missed.

Thanks again for your help.

Russell.

More
13 Jul 2013 18:04 #36621 by epineh
Ok I have checked the hardware side of things, and it is all configured correctly, it seems that the PC cannot connect to the MESA card.

I am assuming that there is somewhere I need to configure to tell LinuxCNC which USB port I am using, I have no idea what that is.

I read through the ini file and hal file (I am using the xyza.ini) but I cannot see anything I can modify to setup the USB side of things.

I did a lsusb and can see the MESA card :

Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

Any ideas ?

Cheers.

Russell.

More
15 Jul 2013 18:34 #36667 by epineh
Alright well it seems that the (last) problem was that the USB permissions were not set properly for the MESA card to connect.

Seems to connect and program the FPGA no probs now, onto finishing the rest of the machine I guess.

Cheers.

Russell.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds