Why are AMD64 packages missing for U10.04 (Lucid)

More
16 Jul 2013 06:48 #36689 by brandonh
I have an existing install of Ubuntu 10.04 on which I'd like to install LCNC. I came across two errors:

(1, minor) On the wiki , the suggested link to an install script seems totally out of date, referring to breezy (www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/emc2-install.sh).

(2) The main page instructions seems reasonable but the install script there produced:
W: Failed to fetch http://www.linuxcnc.org/dists/lucid/Release  Unable to find expected entry  linuxcnc2.5/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Browsing the changelog, I see that 64-bit is not supported for realtime LCNC w/10.04. Out of curiosity - why did this get dropped?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2013 15:25 - 17 Jul 2013 18:56 #36698 by ArcEye
Hi

The wikis can be a problem, they get posted and just sit there after they are out of date.

There is a move to bring everything into the release documentation, which would ensure it is current for that release, but is going to give JT a lot more work :cheer:

I see that 64-bit is not supported for realtime LCNC w/10.04. Out of curiosity - why did this get dropped?

The release version of Linuxcnc is a 32 bit system and the realtime build is 32 bit. The release version has never run on 64 bit as a realtime system

There have been users who have built 64 bit versions and this is liable to change before long, with several realtime systems being available to 'host' linuxcnc.

The sim can run on 64bit because it does not use realtime kernel modules
www.linuxcnc.org/dists/lucid/linuxcnc2.5-sim/binary-amd64/

If you read the install script, it does not try to fetch a 64 bit version, it obviously detected your system and tried to match the package, when in fact there was not a match to be had.

The easiest way to install the whole package, would be to do so from the iso, but if you just want the simulator, then you can fetch the package direct and install it or set your /etc/apt/sources.list to the repo above

regards
Last edit: 17 Jul 2013 18:56 by ArcEye.

More
19 Jul 2013 07:53 #36790 by brandonh
Thanks ArcEye - I ended up using the 10.04 32-bit packages instead, and it's all working now.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds