installing linuxcnc-sim

More
09 Oct 2013 13:48 #39671 by somenewguy
Ignoring the username, can anyone help out with this last failure? Trying to install linux cnc on 12.04 for g-code generation and educational purposes for me outside the shop, and Ican't get it to make. Any pointers would be awesome, thanks. below is the error I get
butts@batu:/media/MH720-500/Consolidating/Gitrepos/LinuxSoftware/linuxcnc/src$ make
Reading 1/177 dependency files
Done reading dependencies
Reading 0/136 realtime dependency files
Done reading realtime dependencies
make: Entering directory `/media/MH720-500/Consolidating/Gitrepos/LinuxSoftware/linuxcnc/src'
copying shared configs
ln -sf liblinuxcncini.so.0 ../lib/liblinuxcncini.so
ln: failed to create symbolic link `../lib/liblinuxcncini.so': Operation not permitted
make: *** [../lib/liblinuxcncini.so] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/media/MH720-500/Consolidating/Gitrepos/LinuxSoftware/linuxcnc/src'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2013 15:17 #39674 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic installing linuxcnc-sim

ln -sf liblinuxcncini.so.0 ../lib/liblinuxcncini.so
ln: failed to create symbolic link `../lib/liblinuxcncini.so': Operation not permitted

You don't have the right permissions in either / or directories and files

You have an extrordinarily convoluted path, would be easier to copy linuxcnc to /home/butts/src (you will have to make src)

The run sudo chown -R butts:butts /home/butts/* which will ensure that everything in your home folder belongs to you

Then build from the start again

Unless the linuxcnc tarball was downloaded as your user and the directory you try to build it in was created by / owned by your user, you will always hit problems

regards

More
09 Oct 2013 17:52 #39681 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic installing linuxcnc-sim
Were you following the steps here?

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Build_A_Simulator_Manually

JT

More
09 Oct 2013 19:54 #39691 by somenewguy
Replied by somenewguy on topic installing linuxcnc-sim
yes those were the steps followed. I tried repeating the last 4 steps w/ a sudo but it didn't help. Yes my pth is convoluted, but it is the way my system is lain out for now, my OS is on a SSD and this is a second drive, as linuxCNC doesn't warrent space on the SSD at home here.

More
09 Oct 2013 21:24 #39695 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic installing linuxcnc-sim
At what point exactly did the process fail and what was the message? I suspect your missing/skipping something...

JT

More
09 Oct 2013 22:54 - 09 Oct 2013 22:57 #39700 by ArcEye
Hi

I have pulled the master with git and built a simulator as root and as a user, without any problems.
The only way I can get similar problems with access and permissions, is as I described, downloading the git as root and trying to build it as a user in a directory not belonging to me.
But even then, it will fail at ./autogen.sh not make
chowning the whole user directory and its children solves the problem

Something has just occured to me.

What is this second disk formatted as?

If it is formatted as windoze (fat16 or fat32) you cannot create symlinks on a windoze file system.

regards
Last edit: 09 Oct 2013 22:57 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: somenewguy

More
10 Oct 2013 00:24 #39704 by somenewguy
it appears to be a big permissions issue, something about the way I am mounting that drive i suspect. it is a linux partition, I have many a happy sym link coming from that drive, hwoever it seems to belong to root (although my group seems to have full permissions, not sure waht is up there) and I can NOT chmod and make it mine, permission denied even to root! I also can't chagne it thru nautilus using gksudo, so I abandoned all hope ye who chowns here, and did it on my SSD and it went better.

however the command to lauch linuxcnc after adding it to my path is confusing, is the . and whitespace correct? it does not work for me, so I navigated to ./scripts/ and tried to launch it with "linuxcnc" and I get a no command response

any ideas on that last one?

More
10 Oct 2013 00:27 #39705 by somenewguy
on a whim I navigated to the scripts folder with nautilus, and simply double clickling on linuxcnc launches it, so why can't i launch from terminal?

More
10 Oct 2013 02:22 #39711 by ArcEye
The dot sets the environment for that terminal session only.

There needs to be a space between it and the next dot.

Without the environment set to the build dir, it will look in the normal PATH for
executables and LIBPATH for libraries

Using this method you could have a system wide install of 2.5.3 and 10 different RIP builds and they will never conflict.
(in fact that describes one of my partitions)

regards

More
10 Oct 2013 06:01 #39717 by somenewguy
RIP? is that like WIP?

also I found the issue, the last two steps are
export PATH=$PATH:[path to the linuxcnc dir]/linuxcnc/scripts/rip-environment
 . scripts/linuxcnc
but I dont think that will work, it either needs to be
export PATH=$PATH:[path to the linuxcnc dir]/linuxcnc/scripts/
. linuxcnc
or
export PATH=$PATH:[path to the linuxcnc dir]/linuxcnc/
. scripts/linuxcnc
whichever makes more sense from a usage point of view, I would think the former but I am not sure. Thanks for the help guys I seem to be up and running. Now when I launch a demo config, and ask it to create a short cut it will do that, however it does not create a config folder, which IIRC was done automagically on my real instal, or did stepconf create the config folder?

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds