Precise install with Xenomai

More
18 Apr 2014 05:31 - 18 Apr 2014 05:31 #46053 by andypugh

ArcEye thank you very much for all of your help. I am up and running now. I am running it from the rip-enviorment in terminal, is there a way to install it and start it from an Icon on the desktop?

./configure --prefix=/usr
Last edit: 18 Apr 2014 05:31 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dcrabtree

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2014 13:19 #46064 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Precise install with Xenomai

ArcEye thank you very much for all of your help. I am up and running now. I am running it from the rip-enviorment in terminal, is there a way to install it and start it from an Icon on the desktop?

./configure --prefix=/usr

As Andy indicted, you can do a user build, which will install to the root file system.

There are disadvantages to this, no real uninstall, just overwrite with another build.

I run several versions on one machine and have them all as RIP builds, but since I use the terminal a lot don't find it a problem.
Matter of choice really

Glad you got there

regards

More
19 Apr 2014 02:22 #46094 by dcrabtree
I got everthing running but my latency numbers went from 5000ns to +40000ns compared to running on 3.4.55-rtai-2. Is there another realtime kernel I can try? I would really like my touchscreen to work with my system. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and the touchscreen works fine until I install the realtime kernel. The monitor I am running is an Acer FT200 HQL. I am doing software stepping and am using Gigabyte GA-E350N WIN8 motherboard with 4 gigs of ram isocpus=1. So far this has been a good set-up until I tried to use the touchscreen part of the monitor and the touch does not work.

Thanks

David

More
19 Apr 2014 15:22 #46104 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Precise install with Xenomai
Hi

I got everthing running but my latency numbers went from 5000ns to +40000ns compared to running on 3.4.55-rtai-2. Is there another realtime kernel I can try? I would really like my touchscreen to work with my system. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and the touchscreen works fine until I install the realtime kernel. The monitor I am running is an Acer FT200 HQL.

The answer is probably to return to the rtai kernel and compile the driver you need for your touch screen.

As it is obviously present with the standard 3.2.x kernel that ships with 12.04, it is nothing to do with the kernel version, it is whether the driver is built or not.

First step, go back to the 12.04 kernel that works with your touchscreen and do a lspci -k to determine which kernel module is being used

I can't remember if Ubuntu uses module-assistant, if it does that may be your easiest way to build it.
wiki.debian.org/ModuleAssistant

regards

More
26 Apr 2014 02:07 #46326 by dcrabtree
I finally got everything working correct and it turns out the module I needed was already installed just not loaded. Here is how I got it working.
$ sudo modprobe hid-multitouch

And as easy as that the touchscreen worked. Now I needed to have it load on boot up. and here is how I accomplished it.
$ sudo gedit /etc/modules

Add the line to the end of the file
hid-multitouch

Save the file.

Restart and everything worked fine.

I spent many hours trying to figure out what was different or how to customize and make the kernel but this was much easier.

Thank you guys for your help. I would have never figured this out on my own. I didn't even know that a driver in others OSs is a module in Linux.

Thanks

David

More
27 Apr 2014 06:37 #46356 by dracozny
Curiosity killed the cat here, how is your touchscreen behaving? Mine stops allowing clicks randomly and tries to grab instead regardless of the mouse settings, it's apparently a common issue with 12.04.

More
27 Apr 2014 08:23 #46357 by dcrabtree
So far I have only used it for about an hour so I cannot say for sure. I hope it works well but on Friday it was time to get off work and go home. If every thing works well I plan on retrofitting 5 custom milling machines. I have a Tree 310 at home and have had no troubles but I don't run a touchscreen at home.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds