No Live File System found...

More
30 Apr 2014 11:53 #46492 by TarHeelTom
:( My old system died completely after running fine for a couple of years. Believe it was an atom, but doesn't really matter.

Built a complete new system with the H61M-S2PV motherboard, forget what cpu, but it's the one which was recommended on the forum at the time. One hard drive, which works on another computer, and one CD-ROM, and one stick of memory.

Burned a new Live CD today, and it works fine booting up in my office Windows computer, and I can see the file system on both hard drives (one at a time, of course) by looking at them on the office machine.

But when I attempt to load from the live CD, or either of the two hard drives, (each of which already has linux cnc on it) I get hung up after watching the Ubuntu splash screen with a message which says "Unable to find a medium containing a live file system", or something similar. In some instances, I get a message saying that one file is missing.

Alert! /dev/disk/by-uuid/libe91c8-47e1-b5a3-920912afd05d does not exist. Dropping to a shell.

I THINK that one of the two drives in mention contain the ini and config files for my Bridgeport, and hope to not have to go through the entire setup again, as I do NOT have a backup for those two files. Dumb dumb dumb.

The mill has sat lonely out in the garage all winter, but warm weather has arrived, and I've got a slew of projects waiting, so really want to get the think running again.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2014 13:50 #46495 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic No Live File System found...
Hi

Go into BIOS and check that SATA =AHCI

If it is set to IDE and your system requires AHCI, you will get this error

regards

More
02 May 2014 00:22 - 02 May 2014 00:26 #46518 by TarHeelTom

Hi

Go into BIOS and check that SATA =AHCI

If it is set to IDE and your system requires AHCI, you will get this error

regards

That was exactly the problem. Computer started right up, and I found the old Bridgeport files. Big relief. Did not want to have to go through all that research. Those files are now backed up on two other computers.

Next questions. Since linuxcnc was already installed on the hard drive, it bypassed Live CD and did not do that install. I'd like to run the jitter test.

I'm under the impression that linuxcnc looks at the raw computer and makes some decisions about it when you do a clean install. Is it okay to run the old hard drive in the new computer, or should it be formatted and then do a clean install? Or can I just forge ahead and start cutting metal without doing any testing first?

Also, don't know off the top of my head which version of emc2 is installed, but it's at least 3, perhaps 4 years old. Should I use the Live CD and install the latest version?

Thanks,

Tom
Last edit: 02 May 2014 00:26 by TarHeelTom. Reason: Add one question

More
02 May 2014 00:46 #46520 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic No Live File System found...

I'm under the impression that linuxcnc looks at the raw computer and makes some decisions about it when you do a clean install. Is it okay to run the old hard drive in the new computer, or should it be formatted and then do a clean install? Or can I just forge ahead and start cutting metal without doing any testing first?

It is nothing to do with linuxcnc. That is just an application.

Really it depends upon how close the new hardware is to the old.

If you have a completely different video chipset / card and different main chipset it might be easier to re-install.

If that partition boots, gives reasonable screen resolution and appears generally OK, I would do a latency test, adjust your base thread figure in the ini file to suit and see how you go.

If it aint broken......

regards

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds