More
23 Jun 2014 08:26 #48191 by cybernut39
NEWBIE was created by cybernut39
Hi, I am a bit confused. I have a old desk top computer, that I would like to install Linuxcnc on. Could someone provide the link for the software I will need to install. I would need the 32 bit version. As of now there is no operating software on the computer. I am not sure if I need the linux software first. Or if all I will need is linuxcnc. All I plan on using the computer for is cnc. Any help would be great. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2014 09:36 #48192 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic NEWBIE

Hi, I am a bit confused. I have a old desk top computer, that I would like to install Linuxcnc on. Could someone provide the link for the software I will need to install. I would need the 32 bit version. As of now there is no operating software on the computer. I am not sure if I need the linux software first. Or if all I will need is linuxcnc. All I plan on using the computer for is cnc. Any help would be great. Thank you

The LinuxCNC distribution includes a specially patched version of the Linux OS (containing
the real time feature.)

So you only need one CD. At the top of the LinuxCNC.org main page there are a number of links.
Click "Download" and select the mirror site (seems to be only one at this time). This will download
a 700 MB file with the .iso filename extension. You need a CD burner program which can
burn an ISO image file to a CD. Nero Burning ROM was an old one, and on Linux K3B is
good. Do not burn the disk as a data file, that will not be bootable.

Your computer needs to be set up to boot from the CD. Insert the CD and boot
the computer, and you should get prompts to install to hard drive.
Answer a few questions, and have it hooked to the net if possible, it
can then update to the latest version.

Do NOT, however, update the OS version, as it will get a NON-real time kernel and
LinuxCNC will no longer run. (This option should be disabled, but just warning you
anyway.)

Jon

More
24 Jun 2014 00:17 #48204 by cybernut39
Replied by cybernut39 on topic NEWBIE
Thank You, i was not sure, and did not to mess up the installation.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds