12.04/2.6 Upgrade Problem

More
04 Jul 2014 23:24 #48432 by Dean
Hello:

Two days ago I got the bright idea to update Ubuntu and Linuxcnc. Up to that point I had a well running system on Ubuntu 10.04 and Linuxcnc 2.5. Everything was running great but I had some free time on my hands so I decided to do the update (Why do I always do this to myself? :( ) .

I started with a fresh install of 12.04 in the PC and then installed the 3.4.55 rtai. Then I went out and got Linuxcnc 2.6. With everything seemingly installed properly, I fired up the cnc and jogged X,Y and Z to make sure everything was working properly. X and Z were fine, but Y travel was backwards. I'm not sure what in the upgrade would cause this.

It's been quite a while since I've been in the guts of the .hal and ini files. My ydir is on pin 5 and the configuration is as follows:
setp parport.0.pin-05-out-invert 1
net ydir => parport.0.pin-05-out

I tried to comment out (#) the setp invert line but that didn't seem to make any difference. Then I tried to make the y-axis scale negative in the .ini file. The didn't work either. I didn't want to use step config wizzard because I’ve made several custom config changes and didn't want them overwritten.

Like I said, its been a while since I've messed with any Linuxcnc configuration, so I'm probably overlooking something simple. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Dean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2014 23:10 #48453 by Dean
Problem solved ----How embarrassing :blush: .

After the the new 2.6 install, I used a copy of another launcher to build one for my mill since I didn't have one from Step config wizzard. In doing so, I linked it to the wrong .ini file. So, any configuration change I made to the file never showed up when I started Linuxcnc.

Oh well, I guess I don't mind the embarrassment as long as I figured it out.

Dean

More
07 Jul 2014 02:04 #48467 by BigJohnT
I'm just glad you sorted it out so fast.

JT

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds