Unable to find a live file system Gigabyte J1800

More
31 Jul 2014 06:33 #49312 by jeeybee
Trying install LinuxCNC on a Gigabyte J1800-D2H motherboard with integrated CPU and no matter what I do I end up with Unable to find a medium containing a live file system!
I have search the this forum and others and tried every bios setting that is suggested and different "fixes" to no avail.
I´m trying to boot from an USB-stick and it works fine on my other computer but not at this one, I have also tried an external DVD (USB) with the same problem, tried to make the ssd-disk like a the USB-stick but that did not work at all
and I even tried to install it on the SSD in another computer but when I inserted it in the J1800 it actually booted but the keyboard and mouse did not work at all.
Latest Ubuntu works fine to boot but either ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc3-i386.iso or Ubuntu 10.04 without LinuxCNC does not.

I get the feeling that its either a problem with the USB or the motherboard is to new for this release of Ubuntu?

Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2014 12:54 #49322 by ArcEye
Hi

Occurs quite regularly, answer is usually to change SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS

regards

More
31 Jul 2014 13:21 #49324 by jeeybee
One of the first things I tried with no succes.

More
31 Jul 2014 14:39 #49326 by ArcEye
Hi

The USB installer is very flakey, had someone recently unable to boot from thumbstick and when I researched it, found shed loads of similar posts on Ubuntu forums.

The Ubuntu 10.04 image is old and the hardware support is dated.

I sugest you download the new Debian Wheezy DVD iso, with the 3.4.9-rtai kernel and install that from your external DVD
It will have far better hardware support and installs on just about anything.
I have Wheezy installed on 7 computers, from P4s to i7

linuxcnc.org/binary.hybrid.iso

It has the latest 2.6 release of Linuxcnc built into it, so you will be completely up to date

regards

More
31 Jul 2014 16:14 #49330 by jeeybee
Thank you very much for that.

This version booted and installed, but there seem indeed to be a problem with the USB, got this on startup:
Waiting for /dev to be fully populated [17.087164] usb 3-1: device not accepting address 2, error -110
32.728396 usb 3-1: device not accepting address 3, error -110 address 3, error -110
43.254379 usb 3-1: device not accepting address 4, error -110 address 4, error -110
and something more that I dont have time to see, is it possible to paus the startup in some way?

When its finished booting the keyboard and mouse does not work.
The motherboard also have ps2 inputs so I tried to connect them to that through usb-ps2 adapters but that did not work either.

This thing is really killing me :/

More
31 Jul 2014 17:04 - 31 Jul 2014 17:06 #49332 by ArcEye
Hi

I have found hopefully the problem, but you will need to search for the answer.

The V2 BIOS it is shipped with is crap and does not recognise usb properly

Does this sound familiar from an Amazon review?

A very nice board, BUT a BIOS upgrade is required for Linux 30 Mar 2014
By Peter Lister - Published on Amazon.com
I got this as a replacement board for a fanless Linux desktop system where the board is dying. I wanted the BayTrail chipset for access to graphics chips which are open, i.e. not encumbered by non-Intel intellectual property and which should, we hope be fully supported by Linux. It's a dual processor, it's very low power and has been fine with no fan in a vertically mounted ITX case.

And the hardware has, so far, been fine. Well done to Intel for making the chips. Gigabyte have created a mobo with has an HDMI and we may get another for a home cinema system

But... the F2 BIOS supplied will only boot Windows 8. On a system Intel has explicitly designed to be Linux friendly. In a form factor likely to be use in embedded systems or by home brewers. Apparently it won't even boot Windows 7.

What? Do gigabyte have any concept of what people need? Well, evidently, no.

So, I agree with the other reviews... only get this board if you know you will only ever need Win 8, or if you are happy with flashing a BIOS. Be aware that if you look at the Gigabtyte BIOS web page - THIS BOARD DOES NOT HAVE Q-FLASH! To do the upgrade, you'll need a DOS boot image - I recommend Joel Inoff's image at joelinoff.com.

The BIOS upgrade is available, but installing it when the BIOS does not recognise usb could be tricky
Looks like some people installed windoze, used that to upgrade the BIOS and then wiped windoze again.
Sure if you search you will find a better way, the DOS boot image on a CD sounds favourite

regards
Last edit: 31 Jul 2014 17:06 by ArcEye.

More
31 Jul 2014 17:45 #49339 by jeeybee
Yes I thought about updating the Bios, but as they say I noticed that it was not possible without some kind of operating system on it.
But as I managed to install Windows 7 on it before then I can do it again and flash bios from there.

Thank you very much again for taking time to find a solution for me.

More
31 Jul 2014 19:24 - 31 Jul 2014 20:32 #49341 by jeeybee
Damn, I managed to update BIOS using the w98 startdisk and guide I found here www.gigabytenordic.com/wordpress/flash-u...rboards-j1800-j1900/
The windows tool failed to read BIOS, crap.
Still the same error on the ubuntu10.04 version, and slightly different errors on the hybrid version.

At the end of the boot it says This debian Live image failed to boot
Unable to find a medium containing blabla
uhci_hcd: usb universal hos controller interface driver
ohci_hcd: usb 1.1 open hos controller (ohci) driver
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
usbhid: usb hid core driver

And before that it said something similar to the usb 3-1: device not accepting address 3, error -110 address 3, error -110
errors I had before, but also something about that its using ehci, which I tried to enable and disable in bios with no change.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2014 20:32 by jeeybee.

More
31 Jul 2014 20:35 #49347 by PCW
For full graphics support on the Baytrail CPUs you need a 3.12 or > kernel
so you may not be able to have a full functioning system with RTAI for a while
anyway.

Depending on what you are doing, Xenomai or Preemt-RT might be
usable on the J1800. Both Xenomai and Preemt-RT kernels are more
up-to-date and have kernels newer than 3.12

The current LinuxCNC master (2.7) supports both RTAI and Preemt-RT
kernels. Machinekit supports Xenomai and Preemt-RT and RTAI

I have been using a J1800D2H for several months now running Linuxcnc
on Ubuntu 12.04 with a Preemt-RT kernel (running Mesa PCIE or Ethernet motion cards)
and its quite fast and stable (it runs circles around the older Atom CPUs for the same amount of electrical power)

BTW its easy to flash the BIOS with a bootable DOS USB stick

More
31 Jul 2014 20:45 - 31 Jul 2014 20:50 #49348 by jeeybee
Yes it I created a bootable DOS usb stick using files from win98 start disk, I could not create the stick on my other computer using the HP disk storage format tool, win764 incompatible maybe because it worked on the win7 32bit version I installed on the j1800 computer.

Ok I´m more of a linux beginner so I dont now where to start to install a preemt-rt kernel, can you point me in the right direction please?
Last edit: 31 Jul 2014 20:50 by jeeybee.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds