Unable to find a live file system Gigabyte J1800

More
31 Jul 2014 21:35 #49350 by jeeybee
Tried to boot with the 12.04 but end up with the Unable to find a medium containing a live file system again, just like the 10.04

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2014 21:57 #49351 by PCW
Its been a while but I think I initialized a hard drive on another system and
booted from that

How did you make you USB image? I have booted the j1800D2H from
unetbootin created USB stick ubuntu images (12.04 and 14.04 IICRC)

Note that you need to enable legacy/compatibility mode in the UEFI setup

More
31 Jul 2014 23:27 #49353 by skunkworks
I have a J1800 and J1900. Both will not recognize the usb with any of the rtai kernels.. (have tried 10.04 and the new wheezy live cd..) So you cannot boot a usb live image with rtai. It starts booting - then tries to mount the usb and fails as the usb are not found in linux. You can boot off a burned cd/dvd but you would need a ps2 mouse/keyboard to use it.

The usb ports are seen by rt_preempt. So if you install the latest linuxcnc wheezy livecd - you can pull the rt-preempt kernel from debian (I did it through synaptic). Pull linuxcnc master and build it.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Uspace

rt-preempt latency on these boards are around 70us - so not that great for software stepping - but great for mesa/pico/whatever interface boards.

I have not found a solution yet for these motherboards and rtai.

sam

More
01 Aug 2014 14:01 #49378 by jeeybee
Thank you for all your help but I think I will just give up on this boad and use it to something else and buy one that works instead, its just not worth the time spent.

More
01 Aug 2014 14:47 #49380 by jeeybee

Its been a while but I think I initialized a hard drive on another system and
booted from that

How did you make you USB image? I have booted the j1800D2H from
unetbootin created USB stick ubuntu images (12.04 and 14.04 IICRC)

Note that you need to enable legacy/compatibility mode in the UEFI setup

I tried with both LiLi USB creator and Unetbootin, and also from CD/DVD but the external DVD is also on USB.
I even ordered a SATA DVD to try with but I think I will pass it as it seem to be much more trouble to get it working than that.

More
01 Aug 2014 14:54 #49381 by ArcEye
Shame, but sometimes you have to cut your losses and spend time on something more productive.

I will make sure a suitable entry goes on the latency-test wiki to warn others off.

I personally have not used Gigabyte boards for over 15 years, since I had a very bad experience with one which crashed every time it got hot.
Eventually I found a hairline crack which opened as it got hot and crashed the board.
Had no end of trouble, could not get a refund just eventually got a new board once they conceeded the fault, after trying to blame me.
I then sold the new one at a loss and bought a proper Asus one and have never touched them since.

regards

More
01 Aug 2014 15:04 #49382 by ArcEye

I will make sure a suitable entry goes on the latency-test wiki to warn others off.

Done

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Latency-Test

More
01 Aug 2014 15:04 #49383 by jeeybee
Yes I should have worked instead the same time that I spent on the board and could have bought four others :)
Last week I installed it on an ASUS E350N WIN8 and that worked like a charm.
Only thing was that even though the latency test showed not more that 6000 at max I had to set it to 17000 before LinuxCNC stopped giving me timing errors.
Should have bought this but for some reason I bought a MESA card with PCI-E and thats the reason I changed motherboard.

Thanks again for all the help all of you.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds