Specifically what is obsolete on Download page?

More
13 Aug 2014 10:54 #49791 by mristau
"Download Information
The 2.6 release is just out, much of this page is outdated."

If it's obsolete, can it be updated to reflect exactly how to install 2.6?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2014 14:54 #49795 by ArcEye
Hi

There is nothing unclear about the link that appears on the left of your screen, whatever section of the site you are in.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.6

This is community run project, if the documentation is not being updated fast enough for your taste, please volunteer your time to do so.
I am sure JT can use the help.

regards

More
15 Aug 2014 00:58 - 17 Aug 2014 07:20 #49869 by mristau
I'm trying to put together simplified and accurate installation notes for myself (absolute Linux/LinuxCNC idiot) and other novice users. Specifically, CreationStationCNC.com users that will be receiving their gantry router hardware in the Fall.

I tried the Wheezy installation, but personally prefer the easier to understand Ubuntu OS. Other nube users of LinuxCNC might also. So, I've edited the Fresh install on Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) sections of page:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.6

My intent is to post these notes in the CreationStationCNC forum.
They still need final editing.
Here's my second draft:

Installation of Ubuntu12.04 & LinuxCNC2.6 on a Dual Partition Hard Drive*

For a dual boot system it is strongly recommended that Windows be installed First.

Partition 1 is large and Windows is installed here

Partition 2 is small (15-20GB) and Ubuntu/LinuxCNC will be installed here

If Windows will not be part of your CNC computer, just perform steps 1 and 2 on another machine.

Note: Ubuntu installation is greatly simplified by having a live connection to the internet.

Install Windows
(This is where I also installed the driver for my bluetooth/wifi card.)
With internet live, download and burn Ubuntu to a CD...

From Windows browser, download Ubuntu Precise 12.04 (32-bit) from this address:
releases.ubuntu.com/precise/

Burn the file (now in your Downloads folder) to a CD.
If your system config does not include a CD drive, see these notes on burning the .iso file to a USB thumb drive:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Hybrid_Iso

Restart and force booting from the CD. (where the 12.04 installation .iso now resides)
(On some machines, holding down F12 during the startup displays a menu of bootable devices.
If this doesn’t work for you, find out how to make your particular system boot from the CD drive.)

Ubuntu will begin installing and the process is, with a few decisions to be made, smooth sailing.
When you get to the”Try” or “Install" screen, make sure you are connected to the internet. (WiFi icon is at top right.)

At Preparing to install Ubuntu, I checked both:
Download updates while installing
Install this third-party software
Select Continue.
At Installation Type, I selected Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 8.
Select Continue and progress through a few more screens and installation activities (about 10 minutes?)
Ultimately, Ubuntu will eject the CD, ask that it be removed and reboot.

When the boot grub screen displays (a text screen installed by Ubuntu), do nothing** and Ubuntu 12.04 will launch.

At some point you will encounter an Ubuntu offer “Wecome to Ubuntu 10.04 ‘Trusty Tahr’...
When you do, select Don’t Upgrade, because… LinuxCNC is not compatible with 10.04

Meanwhile, back in Ubuntu, press Ctrl+Alt+T to launch Terminal.
Since Terminal is uses a lot in the OS add it to the Launcher by right-click over its icon and selecting Lock to Launcher.
At this point I also deleted a couple of items from the launcher. (LibreOffice Impress, LibreOffice Calc)

One at a time, copy each of these commands and press return:
(Best to tripple-check your typing of these commands cause who knows what will happen if incorrectly entered!)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 8f374fef

From the left column of the Ubuntu screen, select Ubuntu Software Center (orange shopping bag icon)
Although hidden, move the cursor to the top of your screen and a menu bar will be revealed.
Select the Edit > Software Sources > Other Software

Add this new Apt line:
deb linuxcnc.org/ precise base 2.6

Authenticate and Close.

return to Terminal and, one at a time, copy each of these commands and press return:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae rtai-modules-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae

Restart Ubuntu by selecting Shutdown from the “gear” icon’s drop down menu (red & top right)

Back in Ubuntu, Launch Terminal, enter this command and press return:
uname -r

It should report back:
3.4-9-rtai-686-pae

If so, proceed with this command:
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc

If not, I don’t know what to do! I get: 3.13.0-34-generic

I've erased my drive, reinstalled windows and Ubuntu !! 4 !! times. Everything goes smoothly until verifying uname -r
A reply on what I might be doing wrong would be MOST HELPFUL.
Thanks!
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Aug 2014 07:20 by mristau.

More
16 Aug 2014 13:14 #49918 by mristau
Finally got through the described installation process.

The only item that doesn't look right is the report I get when verifying uname -r
When I poke that into Terminal and hit return I get:

3.1.3.0-34-generic

not:
3.4-9-rtai-686-pae

in spite of that, I did run:
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc

What to do?

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds