2.6 debian install, problem with password

More
05 Nov 2014 08:50 - 05 Nov 2014 08:51 #52791 by johnbennett2140
Have tried to install "2.6 live + install image" three times and keep having problems on reboot after intall. It requests the password and after entering the correct password (cap locks off), it comes back with incorrect password. I have even used 1234 as password , so not to have problems with keyboard entry.

Followed post # 52203 and tried reset of password at root level. Entered password as shown, and the program says it was successful, but on reboot same problem.

What is this new user to linux doing wrong?
Last edit: 05 Nov 2014 08:51 by johnbennett2140. Reason: missing word

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2014 17:22 - 07 Nov 2014 03:47 #52804 by ArcEye
Hi

The most common problem is just accepting the default locale, language and keyboard type at install (which are all US) and not checking output from the keyboard in the text box
(try typing in the password you will use).
You are in Canada, is it a French keyboard?

Resetting the password from the root shell always works, it is not really possible that it could not on a properly functioning system.

I have had problems in the past with Debian not setting the root password (on a full install of just debian) but I have never had a problem after resetting it

I would download and burn the iso image again, check the checksum before burning, and retry.

I have no idea why the problem with the user password occurs, but the resetting method outlined here should always work
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...rrect-password#52203

regards
Last edit: 07 Nov 2014 03:47 by ArcEye.

More
07 Nov 2014 08:39 #52886 by johnbennett2140
The loose nut behind the steering wheel was the problem. When installed, I failed to notice that you had to "log in" with a user name and then a password. If only there was an emoticon with a dunce cap on ...

More
07 Nov 2014 14:57 #52898 by ArcEye
Just add it to the list of things that you will never get wrong again :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds