Jog sluggish in V2.6, wasn't a problem in 2.5

More
26 Nov 2014 21:55 #53447 by TonyZ
Hi all,

I've been running LinuxCNC (installed from the 10.04 Ubuntu live CD) for several years, and it's performed great. Not wanting to lose the V2.5 installation, I decided to install V2.6 on a different hard drive to give it a try. So I wrote the binary.hybrid.iso image to a USB stick using Rufus, and Debian/LinuxCNC installed without a problem.

However, I noticed that when jogging, there is a noticeable lag from when I press/release a key until the machine moves/stops. For example, when I release a jog key, the machine keeps moving for almost a full second before it stops.

This PC originally had only 256MB ram, but I just upgraded it to 1GB, but the problem persists. FYI, my motherboard is an Intel D845EBG2 with a 2.2GHz Celeron.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2014 06:49 #53469 by BigJohnT
If this is an older motherboard you probably want to stick to older an OS.

JT

More
27 Nov 2014 21:19 #53482 by andypugh

However, I noticed that when jogging, there is a noticeable lag from when I press/release a key until the machine moves/stops. For example, when I release a jog key, the machine keeps moving for almost a full second before it stops.

I have seen this happen when I have feed-override set, though that is with a jogwheel which is probably a different situation.

If you set the display to commanded-position and see if that stops moving immediately, then look at actual-position and see if that copntinues to move then it is possible that what you are seing is a miss-match between jog-speed and actual axis max speed. Of course if you are jogging slowly it isn't that.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds