What processor to install LinuxCNC 2.6?

More
08 Jan 2015 03:58 - 08 Jan 2015 04:01 #54727 by gimpo

Be sure to check the ISO before you burn it to the disk. (that way you don't make another bad one)

I made another fresh burning of the downloaded binary.hybrid.iso image (Debian + LinuxCNC):
checksum = verified
write process = successful
written DVD data verification = ok

So, again:

ASROCK mini-computer = installation hangs (on graphical and text installation both)
Old AMD Sempron desktop PC = installation hangs (on graphical and text installation both)
New notebook of my wife = live installation works like a charm (I didn't make the installation otherwise my wife kill me)

Again, I think the problem is the iso file, not the PC.

Solution:
I've downloaded and burned the Ubuntu 10.04 + LinuxCNC 2.5 image and................. it works like a charm! :woohoo:
Ubuntu 10 it's incredibly fast, smooth and easy.

Now I have to setup wifi connection, update the OS and LinuxCNC to version 2.6. This is a long process that I will do tomorrow (the old PC is now in the room where my baby sleeps so I have to stop now :) )
By the way, the 8-9 years old PC gives the following latency-test results:

max Jitter (servo thread) = 14789
max Jitter (basethread) = 18288

Seems good values, isn't it?
(I've just stressed the machine by opening the office spreadsheet, build a chart and made some calculation - the PC will be used just for driving the CNC machine)
Last edit: 08 Jan 2015 04:01 by gimpo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2015 04:53 #54728 by BigJohnT
If you upgrade the OS you will loose the real time kernel...

JT

More
08 Jan 2015 05:33 - 08 Jan 2015 05:34 #54731 by gimpo

If you upgrade the OS you will loose the real time kernel...

Yeah, I know that. In fact I have the word "update" (not "upgrade") used.
In other words, I mean the instructions reported here: Update to 2.6
I hope that they will work with no headache or troubles... :unsure:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2015 05:34 by gimpo.

More
08 Jan 2015 05:34 #54732 by andypugh

So the answer is just one: use the Debian-Wheezy installation DVD only if you have a "modern" computer!

I just did a DVD install of Wheezy / 2.6 on my Lathe controller. (SMART was saying that HD failure was imminent). No problems at all, and that is a machine with dual Xeons (Prestonia) built in 2003.

So it isn't quite as simple as that.

More
10 Jan 2015 05:18 - 10 Jan 2015 06:13 #54842 by gimpo

So the answer is just one: use the Debian-Wheezy installation DVD only if you have a "modern" computer!

I just did a DVD install of Wheezy / 2.6 on my Lathe controller. (SMART was saying that HD failure was imminent). No problems at all, and that is a machine with dual Xeons (Prestonia) built in 2003.

So it isn't quite as simple as that.

Happy to hear that. Maybe my computer was too old... or maybe I'm not lucky at all, I don't know.

I've just updated my Ubuntu 10.04 using the built-in "Update Manager" program. One click of the mouse and zero problem.
After I've upgraded LinuxCNC 2.5 to 2.6 following the instructions. Again zero problem.

I'm happy! :silly:

By the way: in the "Synaptic Package Manager" it would be better to mark the check boxes "linux-cnc" and "linux-cnc-doc-en" both. So you get version 2.6 of the english documentation too.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2015 06:13 by gimpo.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds