Trouble installinf LinuxCNC - 5i25

More
17 Jan 2015 08:44 #55111 by georgenz
I'm new to linux and am brain farting left right and center. I cant even figure out how to set the clock - right click on the clock and nothing useful there at all.

The reason for this post however is getting drivers for my mesa 5i25 unstalled, they didnt come packaged. I did a search on here and found the 5i25_xml.zip file to install. but I cannot seem to be able to place it in the required folder. I have tried sudo nautilus without success. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2015 09:15 #55112 by PCW
The driver for the 5i25 is part of linuxcnc (hm2_pci) and is loaded via a command in the hal file
pncconf can create suitable hal files for some 5i25 configurations.

What daughtercard are you using with the 5I25?

More
17 Jan 2015 11:48 #55116 by georgenz
Attached is a pic of my screen inside the configuration selector. No 5i25 listed. I sortof found the 7i77 in the LinuxCNC pncconf wizard. But really i have no idea what to do or where I'm going. I have spent like 10k on new motors drives n stuff for my machine. But I've really hit a block and feel overwhelmed at the point of configuring this thing. Like I said earlier. I have no experience with Linux or LinuxCNC. I dont know what a HAL file is...

My motors and drives are teco servos, as mentioned a 5i25 with a 7i77.

Are there any good step by step guides or youtube vids for someone like me? Where can I look. As mentioned I kindof fumbled around and found the 5i25 xml file on here but I couldnt even add it to the required folder.

Any thoughts please
Attachments:

More
17 Jan 2015 14:30 #55117 by emcPT
I and my college are working in a documentation for installing a 5i25+7i77 for the installation point of view, with detailed information (pictures + comments).
This will take a while but it is a work already in progress.

More
17 Jan 2015 15:04 #55118 by georgenz
Excellent.. maybe you can run the draft past me to check its idiot proofness.

More
18 Jan 2015 20:53 #55139 by emcPT
It will take time as we will submit the work for review before publishing it.
It will contain a lot of pictures and schematics so we hope that it will be a real help.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds