Upgraded to 2.7 and now it moves real slow

More
26 Feb 2015 05:48 #56299 by yoshimitsuspeed
So while I am waiting for my new paraport card on my new computerI decided to upgrade to 2.7 on my old computer. I was on 2.5 then did the upgrade to 2.6 and then to 2.7.
I started up my old configuration and immediately noticed when trying to move the axis manually it moved much slower than it was supposed to. When I slow it down below about 900 mm per minute it seems to move at about the rate I would expect but as soon as I take it above that it will kind of lurch for a second then start moving much slower than it's supposed to.
On the monitor the simulated toolpath seems to move at a normal speed but the machine does not. This applies to all axis.

I tried to create a new configuration in stepconf and in the test everything moves normally but when I start the program and try to move everything manually it has the same problem. It just doesn't move as fast as it should above 1000 mm/min
I am going to try going back to 2.6 and see if I can get that working.
Looking for ideas as to why this might be happening though.
If you need any info let me know what.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2015 09:29 #56302 by yoshimitsuspeed
I tried going back to 2.6 and got some errors. Since I didn't have anything better to do I decided to upgrade to 12.4 and start with 2.6.
After getting 2.6 installed and all the updates done I tried to run the machine and it ran fine at full speed.
I tried updating to 2.7 again and the exact same thing happened. I can run the machine fine up to about 1200mm/sec and then it seems to start skipping steps or something. It moves slower and gets real jittery.
I also did a test and confirmed that the machine thinks it's moving the proper speed because if I home it, move in one direction above 1200 and then slow it back down and take it back to 0 it is very far from the original homed location.
It does seem like the steppers are skipping steps but the very strange thing is that in stepconf I can test the axis well over 50% faster than it's current max speed and it moves very quick, very well and does not seem to be missing steps. It's just once I get into the actual CNC window and try to move manually. I did not try to run a program yet because it seemed a little sketchy after I saw how far out it was getting thrown in manual mode.

Since I now have a project that I really need to get done if I don't have a solution early tomorrow I'll probably just try to roll back to 2.6 or do a full reinstall to 2.6.

More
26 Feb 2015 12:37 #56307 by cmorley
I'm not sure about the original problem, but stepconf in 2.7 just had a bug fix that would affect the step speed.
It would step at about half speed.
The axis test would step properly.

so this sounds like it might be your problem also.
The fixes should have gotten to the buildbot by now.
You would need to rebuild the config using stepconf again.

Chris M

More
26 Feb 2015 12:50 #56309 by yoshimitsuspeed
I did run completely through stepconf and save it but tomorrow I will try creating a new stepconf config just to see if it changes. I did try this on my 2.5 to 2.6 to 2.7 upgrade and it made no difference. I haven't tried it on my new install of 2.6 to 2.7.

It's definitely not straight half speed though. Up to 1200 it runs normally. Above that it may be about half or maybe even less.
It's definitely loosing steps in this area though.
Do you know if this behavior you describe lost steps?

More
27 Feb 2015 05:45 #56325 by yoshimitsuspeed
I installed 2.6 on a separate partition so I can still boot into 2.7.
If anyone wants any info or wants me to try anything different I am all ears.
The new install of 2.6 seems to be working properly. I'm going to go run some parts right now.
Sure wish I could try the new toolpath smoothing features of 2.7.

More
27 Feb 2015 17:28 #56330 by ArcEye
Hi

You should be able to just change the hal file , if this relates to the stepconf bug

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...0?limitstart=0#56256

The parport needs to be set like so
loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x378 out 0x6800 in"
setp parport.0.reset-time 1000
addf parport.0.read base-thread
addf parport.0.write base-thread
addf parport.0.reset base-thread

addf parport.1.read base-thread
addf parport.1.write base-thread

Note that parport.1 does not have the reset, because it is defined as IN and does not carry step/dir pulses

Then the step pins have .reset set to 1
net xdir => parport.0.pin-02-out
net xstep => parport.0.pin-03-out
setp parport.0.pin-03-out-reset 1
net ydir => parport.0.pin-04-out
net ystep => parport.0.pin-05-out
setp parport.0.pin-05-out-reset 1
net zdir => parport.0.pin-06-out
net zstep => parport.0.pin-07-out
setp parport.0.pin-07-out-reset 1

So now when stepconf gives you a stepgen setup like this, it should work, because the 0 value just
has it using the thread period.
setp stepgen.0.position-scale [AXIS_0]SCALE
setp stepgen.0.steplen 1
setp stepgen.0.stepspace 0
setp stepgen.0.dirhold 16000
setp stepgen.0.dirsetup 31000

regards

More
05 Mar 2015 05:29 - 05 Mar 2015 05:37 #56480 by yoshimitsuspeed
halcmd: loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x378 out 0x6800 in"                                                                                                                                
Error: could not insert module /usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/modules/linuxcnc/hal_parport.ko: File exists                                                                        
<stdin>:17: exit value: 1                                                                                                                                                           
<stdin>:17: insmod failed, returned -1                                                                                                                                              
See the output of 'dmesg' for more information.
I don't know if it matters but this is on my new computer that I was having card troubles with before. I got the new card and now it runs the machine with the port number in stepconf set to 0.
The machine still doesn't run properly above 1000mm/min though.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2015 05:37 by yoshimitsuspeed.

More
06 Mar 2015 15:23 #56510 by ArcEye

halcmd: loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x378 out 0x6800 in"
Error: could not insert module /usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/modules/linuxcnc/hal_parport.ko: File exists
<stdin>:17: exit value:1

Normally what this is saying is that the module is still loaded from the previous session (did not unload properly) but insmod errors are often rather arcane.

More
07 Mar 2015 02:27 #56516 by yoshimitsuspeed
If I still have trouble with this what is the best solution? Open and close linuxcnc again? Restart the computer?
It sounds like the stepconf bug was addressed right?
So on a brand new fresh install shouldn't it be fixed?

More
19 Mar 2015 04:27 #56992 by yoshimitsuspeed
still unresolved. No idea what to do next without a little help.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds