Debian/Wheezy 2.6 Live wireless password wont work

More
10 Mar 2015 02:52 #56599 by TroyO
Any thoughts on why it might not join a wireless network?

It will log in to my phone's personal hotspot so generically the driver/hardware is working.

It won't log in to my home network.... keeps popping up a "Requires a password" screen, and I know the password is correct.

LOL, somehow I didn't figure that wireless would be the part of Linux/LinuxCNC that config that would stump me, LOL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2015 14:33 #56609 by ArcEye
Hi

I can't remember what the network manager for the live CD is, but think it is gnome-network-manager.

Uninstall it and install wicd instead. It is much better and generally solves connection problems.

There is section on how to use it here
wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: TroyO

More
28 Mar 2015 05:41 #57237 by TroyO
I'm posting this from my linuxcnc machine now! Yippie! I installed wicd which didnt particularly help but which I like better anyway.

It turned out it didn't like WPA2/AES encrpytion and would only take WPA2/TKIP on the router.

whatever, it works lol!

More
28 Mar 2015 18:20 #57249 by ArcEye
Glad it is sorted, at least wicd actually shows you all the different encryption options, so you can figure it out

As a footnote, the default manager is gnome-network-manager

If you install wicd instead, you MUST ensure gnome-network-manager is completely uninstalled.

If you leave both there, they will fight to try and manage connections and you can get some very strange
network failures and may be completely unable to connect to the router, even though the password etc is correct.

How do I know, I did it once by mistake and had days of problems until I realised :whistle:

regards

More
28 Mar 2015 21:54 #57250 by TroyO
Luckily I saw it mentioned somewhere that you had to uninstall network-manager to use wicd. BUT, note to future searchers you can download/install wicd first, then uninstall network-manager. In my case, it was relevant because I was able to use my hotspot on my phone to download so I didn't have to figure out a file transfer method to do it, LOL.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds