Getting Debian

More
11 Mar 2015 17:53 #56663 by mariusl
Getting Debian was created by mariusl
Hi

I am forced to get Debian as I have a 7i80 config to build. I started to download the CD's using jigdo but the first CD took half a day to download. There are 65 of them to do. Is there not a better way to get Debian.

P.S. I dont have a good and reliable internet connection.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2015 14:42 #56729 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Getting Debian
Hi

I see you had plenty of answers on the list, gave up reading them after a while, so not sure if this was mentioned.

I always use the netinstall iso. It is 280MB ish and just contains the base system and downloads the packages required.

This might seem counter intuitive with a slow connection, but it means you only download what you need and then you are done.
Also, it will always be the latest package, so you don't install an old one from CD and then have to spend more time updating it.

regards

More
13 Mar 2015 03:32 - 13 Mar 2015 03:37 #56769 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic Getting Debian
Hi
Yes I got a lot of very good information. Still not a walk in the park. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 in the end. I compiled a new kernel and did the RT patch all with very little problems. Now to get linuxcnc to work seems impossible. It does not have Glade and other issues and I cannot seem to get the dev package installed. Al rather frustrating. The setuid does not seem to work as the linuxcnc script is not exposed to the shell. And so on.

I will give it another go tomorrow and if it still gives me hassles I will do a new install of Debian :)

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Mar 2015 03:37 by mariusl.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds