Debian Wheeziy Installation - Stuck at Partitioner

More
12 Mar 2015 21:33 #56747 by BigMac
I am stuck at the Disc Partition step of Deb Why installation. I am installing LinuxCNC to a WinXP machine and do not understand the objectives of this step.

Now I show the following partitions on my 80 GB HD:

#1 Primary 4.2 GB fat32
#2 Primary 37.7 GB B ntfs
#3 Primary 38.2 GB K lvm

Partition #2 contains my WinXP stuff and is almost full - 30 GB of 37.7 GB total is full! I think the 4.2 GB partition is for use with WinXP. I made Partition #3 and assigned to the work lvm Work Group by Lin system.

Installer can't find /Root directory and sends me back to start of Petitioning step. I cannot resize Petition #3 because installer says it's in use by lvm Work Group. I am reluctant to alter #2 partition because of limited free space, and possible loss of WinXP system. Not sure what 4.2 GB partition is dedicated to doing!

I am clueless as to the purpose of all the Partitioning commands - 1) Config Software RAID 2) Config Logical Volume Manager and 3) Configure Encrpyted Volumes. Can anyone enlighten me how to proceed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2015 23:59 #56753 by ArcEye
Hi

Given that your HDD is full, where do you want to install Linux?

If it is the LVM partition, you need to delete it first.

Go into the Manual partitioning menu.

Select the partition, delete it and create one new partition in the free space of say 37GB and one of 1.7GB
Then select the new 37GB partition (highlight and press enter)

Select 'Use this partition' (or similar wording ), select
Select the 'mount as' (or similar wording ) and select Mount as '/'
Select 'format as' (or similar wording ) and select ext4

Then select bottom entry to save and exit

Then select the new 1.7GB partition (highlight and press enter)

Select 'Use this partition' (or similar wording ), select
Select the 'mount as' (or similar wording ) and select Mount as 'swap'
Select 'format as' (or similar wording ) and select swap ( this may be done automatically
Then select bottom entry to save and exit

Then save bottom entry to make changes

These instructions are OTTOMH, I don't have a disc to hand to get the exact wordings.

If you get completely confused at any point just quit out before finalising the changes and start again.

regards

More
13 Mar 2015 01:09 - 13 Mar 2015 11:14 #56759 by BigMac
Thx, ArcEye, but installer won't let me work with LVM partition - says it is "in use by Work Group" and can't be modified.

Yes, LVM partition is where I'd like to install, there's plenty of space, but I am locked out from working (i.e. deleting, resizing etc.) with it. Seems like Installer has already written files to it and doesn't want me to mess with it. When I abort the installation, the LVM partition looks again empty.

Addendum to this message: I resolved this issue by aborting the Deb Whez Install, downloading an open source disk partitioning utility, and deleting the LVM partition. When i re-entered the Install I could then manipulate the partition(s) into the format recommended.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2015 11:14 by BigMac. Reason: Solution Reached

More
13 Mar 2015 14:14 #56779 by ArcEye

Addendum to this message: I resolved this issue by aborting the Deb Whez Install, downloading an open source disk partitioning utility, and deleting the LVM partition. When i re-entered the Install I could then manipulate the partition(s) into the format recommended.

Well done, that was my next suggestion.

I don't normally have any problems, but I do select the parted libraries for pre install before the partitioning stage, so maybe I get a more fully functioning partitioner?

regards

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds